PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing from the bank - is it done?

Bob Stady
November 4th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Hello All,

I know nothing about fly fishing but my brother-in-law is coming out here
to fish and I thought I would try to learn something before he gets here.
So I signed up for a course and I just took my first fly fishing class last
night (first of 5 in the course). And I had a question that only occurred
to me after I left.

In the course they talked about rods, reels, line, and waders. When
talking about the waders they told some horror stories about people fishing
in cold water in the wrong gear and getting hypothermia and the like. On
the way home I got to wondering why you wouldn't just fish from the shore
if the water was really cold. So my question is: is it possible to fly
fish from the shore/bank or do you have to be in the water to fly-fish.
They did mention being in the boat but most of discussion seem to center
around standing in the water and how there are a number of dangers - like
hypothermia or falling over and getting water in the waders and the like.

TIA
Bob

Frank Reid
November 4th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Well, don't know about falling over or hypothermia, but I do know that most
of the places I fish have trees and bushes along the shore. You need to get
out into the water to be able to cast.
--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

Daniel-San
November 4th, 2005, 03:25 PM
"Bob Stady" wrote...
> Hello All,
>
> I know nothing about fly fishing but my brother-in-law is coming out here
> to fish and I thought I would try to learn something before he gets here.
> So I signed up for a course and I just took my first fly fishing class
> last
> night (first of 5 in the course). And I had a question that only occurred
> to me after I left.
>
> In the course they talked about rods, reels, line, and waders. When
> talking about the waders they told some horror stories about people
> fishing
> in cold water in the wrong gear and getting hypothermia and the like. On
> the way home I got to wondering why you wouldn't just fish from the shore
> if the water was really cold. So my question is: is it possible to fly
> fish from the shore/bank or do you have to be in the water to fly-fish.
> They did mention being in the boat but most of discussion seem to center
> around standing in the water and how there are a number of dangers - like
> hypothermia or falling over and getting water in the waders and the like.
>
> TIA
> Bob

Last weekend on the upper Manistee, I fished prolly 80-90% in the water.
Last few days on the PM, I fished 75% out of the water. Depends on the
banks, water depth, fish 'spookiness', etc., etc., etc.,

Dan

Ken Fortenberry
November 4th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Bob Stady wrote:
> Hello All,
> ... So my question is: is it possible to fly
> fish from the shore/bank or do you have to be in the water to fly-fish.
> They did mention being in the boat but most of discussion seem to center
> around standing in the water and how there are a number of dangers - like
> hypothermia or falling over and getting water in the waders and the like.

One of the most common newbie mistakes is excessive wading.
It's not only possible to fish from the bank it should be
your default position if at all possible. A lot of times,
of course, it's not possible to get a good cast to a spot
without getting your feet wet but if you can manage it
you'll spook far fewer fish crawling around on the bank than
you will standing in the middle of the stream.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Tom Nakashima
November 4th, 2005, 04:27 PM
"Frank Reid" > wrote in message

> Well, don't know about falling over or hypothermia, but I do know that
> most of the places I fish have trees and bushes along the shore. You need
> to get out into the water to be able to cast.
> --
> Frank Reid
> Euthanize to respond

Although I prefer wadding, it is possible to fly-fish from the bank, the
most common cast believe it or not is not up in the air, but it's the
rollcast. Beautiful cast when done right. 40-60ft rollcast are not uncommon,
and like other casting strokes, it takes a lot of practice.
-tom

Lionel F. Stevenson
November 4th, 2005, 04:30 PM
in article , Ken Fortenberry
at wrote on 11/4/05 11:28 AM:

> Bob Stady wrote:
>> Hello All,
>> ... So my question is: is it possible to fly
>> fish from the shore/bank or do you have to be in the water to fly-fish.
>> They did mention being in the boat but most of discussion seem to center
>> around standing in the water and how there are a number of dangers - like
>> hypothermia or falling over and getting water in the waders and the like.
>
> One of the most common newbie mistakes is excessive wading.
> It's not only possible to fish from the bank it should be
> your default position if at all possible. A lot of times,
> of course, it's not possible to get a good cast to a spot
> without getting your feet wet but if you can manage it
> you'll spook far fewer fish crawling around on the bank than
> you will standing in the middle of the stream.

Especially if you are new at it.
-- Lionel

William Claspy
November 4th, 2005, 04:30 PM
On 11/4/05 10:22 AM, in article , "Frank
Reid" > wrote:

> Well, don't know about falling over

SPLORK!

:-)

Bill

rw
November 4th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Tom Nakashima wrote:

> Although I prefer wadding, it is possible to fly-fish from the bank, the
> most common cast believe it or not is not up in the air, but it's the
> rollcast. Beautiful cast when done right. 40-60ft rollcast are not uncommon,
> and like other casting strokes, it takes a lot of practice.

A DT line helps.

Frank Reid
November 4th, 2005, 05:01 PM
>"Frank Reid" > wrote:
>
>> Well, don't know about falling over
>
> SPLORK!

It was the goat, damn it!

--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

Wayne Knight
November 4th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Bob Stady wrote:

> So my question is: is it possible to fly
> fish from the shore/bank or do you have to be in the water to fly-fish.

It will depend on the water you are fishing, most bigger rivers, small
river with varying current seams, or various differing lies in the
water almost always require a wade to get in the best position to
deliver the fly. Other streams, particularly small foothill type
streams or the spring creeks common to the driftless area of Wisconsin,
wading is often counterproductive.

Wayne Knight
November 4th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Frank Reid wrote:

> Well, don't know about falling over

Didn't your momma teach you it's not nice to lie?

Wolfgang
November 4th, 2005, 05:24 PM
"Bob Stady" > wrote in message
> ...When
> talking about the waders they told some horror stories about people
> fishing
> in cold water in the wrong gear and getting hypothermia and the like. On
> the way home I got to wondering why you wouldn't just fish from the shore
> if the water was really cold. So my question is: is it possible to fly
> fish from the shore/bank or do you have to be in the water to fly-fish.
> They did mention being in the boat but most of discussion seem to center
> around standing in the water and how there are a number of dangers - like
> hypothermia or falling over and getting water in the waders and the like.

As others have pointed out, there are good reasons to fish from
shore......when and where possible.....sometimes.

Generally speaking, hypothermia is not among them. Granted that hypothermia
is a real risk, at least under certain conditions, it tends to be minimal to
virtually nonexistent in many, if not most, fly fishing situations for most
people most of the time. Many of us, including me, dispense with waders
altogether most of the time. Good sense should be your guide.

Wolfgang

briansfly
November 4th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Frank Reid wrote:
>>"Frank Reid" > wrote:
>>

>>>Well, don't know about falling over
>>
>>SPLORK!
>

> It was the goat, damn it!

I know what you're all thinking...........don't anyone sneak up behind
Frank while he's fishing, and yell at him. The poor fella has suffered
enough.

brians

Tom Nakashima
November 4th, 2005, 06:02 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> Generally speaking, hypothermia is not among them. Granted that
> hypothermia is a real risk, at least under certain conditions, it tends to
> be minimal to virtually nonexistent in many, if not most, fly fishing
> situations for most people most of the time. Many of us, including me,
> dispense with waders altogether most of the time. Good sense should be
> your guide.
>
> Wolfgang

Another thought comes to mind about bank casting with a fly-rod, when I met
an elder gentleman up at the Trinity who lives in the Douglas City area.
Says he loves to fly-fish but told me he doesn't enjoy the cold, and also
feels he's not strong enough anymore to wade in moving waters. Says he'll
leave that up to the young ones. He fishes with a 12.5 ft.two handed Spey
Rod with 8wt line from the banks. No waders, just high cheap boots. I
watched him easily put out 60 ft.

The first time I cast a two handed Spey Rod, I made a pathetic 40 ft. cast.
Second cast was not much better. My third cast and once I got a feel of
rollcast. From then on I continued to make beautiful 90+ ft rollcast.
Just another method to look into.
-tom

Lazarus Cooke
November 4th, 2005, 10:27 PM
One thing I think it's worth adding to this discussion.

Don't try to cast too far.

There's a temptation to try to improve your casting technique, and
fling that fly as far as possible. But for fishing purposes, it doesn't
really matter.

In fact there may be fish around your feet.

On rivers, certainly, there's an area around ten yards away where you
can get a fly to, and control its movements. It'll be a different
distance in different occasions and for different people and gear, but
you need to concentrate on the area where you feel comfortable and in
control. It's hard enough even for us old-timers to stop the dreaded
DRAG on our fly even at our preferred distance. Do like we do, and try
not to add to the problems!

Lazrus

--
Remover the rock from the email address

detoor
November 4th, 2005, 10:57 PM
I must be roll casting wrongly as 30ft would be my limit with the 5wt..
although I usually find that is enough distance anyway as the trout seem to
prefer to be in a channel near the bank rather than in midstream

Mike Connor
November 4th, 2005, 11:07 PM
"detoor" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I must be roll casting wrongly as 30ft would be my limit with the 5wt..
>although I usually find that is enough distance anyway as the trout seem to
>prefer to be in a channel near the bank rather than in midstream

Go here and watch this;
http://www.bartdezwaan.nl/rollcast/rollcasting.htm

TL
MC

Wolfgang
November 4th, 2005, 11:21 PM
"detoor" > wrote in message
>I must be roll casting wrongly as 30ft would be my limit with the 5wt..
>although I usually find that is enough distance anyway as the trout seem to
>prefer to be in a channel near the bank rather than in midstream

There are a lot of factors that come into play in making a long roll cast.
Skill is important, of course, but so are tools......and how you measure.

If you've got an 8-1/2 foot rod and a 2-1/2 foot arm, that's ten feet right
there. Add ten feet of leader, and you only need to have 20 feet of line
out to make a 40 foot cast.

Obviously, if you're tall....and you lean forward.....and you've got long
arms.....and you've got a long rod.....and you practice....... :)

Wolfgang

JR
November 4th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Mike Connor wrote:
> "detoor" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>>I must be roll casting wrongly as 30ft would be my limit with the 5wt..
>>although I usually find that is enough distance anyway as the trout seem to
>>prefer to be in a channel near the bank rather than in midstream
>

> Go here and watch this;
> http://www.bartdezwaan.nl/rollcast/rollcasting.htm

Excellent video, Mike, thanks. The slow motion version is especially
helpful. Position of the hands over the head at the beginning of the
cast, and a brisk (and relatively long!) haul, seem to be important.

That said, I wonder if folks don't often confuse "a 40ft roll cast" with
"roll casting 40ft of line". I could be wrong, but looking at that
video repeatedly and trying to pinpoint the end of the line, it doesn't
seem to me that he has 16m (52ft, or more than 5 rod lengths) of line
out past the rod tip.....

Take into account a rod length of 9ft and leader/tippet length of 9-10
feet, and a real-life 40ft roll cast isn't out of reach of most folks, I
think......

Mike Connor
November 4th, 2005, 11:38 PM
"JR" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> That said, I wonder if folks don't often confuse "a 40ft roll cast" with
> "roll casting 40ft of line". I could be wrong, but looking at that video
> repeatedly and trying to pinpoint the end of the line, it doesn't seem to
> me that he has 16m (52ft, or more than 5 rod lengths) of line out past the
> rod tip.....
>
> Take into account a rod length of 9ft and leader/tippet length of 9-10
> feet, and a real-life 40ft roll cast isn't out of reach of most folks, I
> think......

It is relatively easy, using the technique shown, to roll cast over 90 feet.
You need the right rod, the right line, and some practice, but not as much
as one might imagine.

Distances in casting examinations, and in competition casting, are measured
from the casterīs toes, to the fly.

TL
MC

Wolfgang
November 4th, 2005, 11:46 PM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message
> Distances in casting examinations, and in competition casting, are
> measured
> from the casterīs toes, to the fly.

Thus rendering a distinct advantage to those who are prone
to.......well.......ask Frank. :)

Wolfgang
who knows that an upright life has its drawbacks.

Mike Connor
November 4th, 2005, 11:58 PM
"Wolfgang" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> Thus rendering a distinct advantage to those who are prone
> to.......well.......ask Frank. :)
>
> Wolfgang
> who knows that an upright life has its drawbacks.

Prone to.............? I thought he was mainly just prone?

TL
MC

Wolfgang
November 5th, 2005, 12:18 AM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message

> "Wolfgang" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> <SNIP>
>> Thus rendering a distinct advantage to those who are prone
>> to.......well.......ask Frank. :)
>>
>> Wolfgang
>> who knows that an upright life has its drawbacks.
>>

> Prone to.............? I thought he was mainly just prone?

ZACKLY! Prone to this....prone to that.....prone to all things. :)

Wolfgang
who supposes that the jurisprudential admonition of the English to be
upstanding is, like their name, rooted (for good reason) in our shared
avocation.

Mike Connor
November 5th, 2005, 12:28 AM
"Wolfgang" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>

Seems reasonable. Why does one say "patriotic", instead of "pronation"? Odd
that somebody who is often prone seems to be mostly waiting for a rise. Or
perhaps not?

"Rise to oneīs feet", always struck me as a rather stupid admonition anyway,
alsmost akin to "Bootstrapping".

TL
MC

Wolfgang
November 5th, 2005, 12:43 AM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message

> "Wolfgang" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> <SNIP>
>>

> Seems reasonable. Why does one say "patriotic", instead of "pronation"?
> Odd that somebody who is often prone seems to be mostly waiting for a
> rise. Or perhaps not?
>
> "Rise to oneīs feet", always struck me as a rather stupid admonition
> anyway, alsmost akin to "Bootstrapping".

Brings us full circle. Rising to his feet is exactly what Frank is famous
for.

Wolfgang
sorry, Frank. :)

Tom Nakashima
November 7th, 2005, 02:15 PM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message

> "detoor" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>I must be roll casting wrongly as 30ft would be my limit with the 5wt..
>>although I usually find that is enough distance anyway as the trout seem
>>to prefer to be in a channel near the bank rather than in midstream
>
> Go here and watch this;
> http://www.bartdezwaan.nl/rollcast/rollcasting.htm
>
> TL
> MC

Good video Mike, on the rollcast.
Also note that the caster added in a front haul.
Start with a short distance, 30 ft is fine until you get the technique down.
Also anchor the line to start.
Once you feel comfortable, you can add the front haul and go for greater
distance.
-tom

detoor
November 7th, 2005, 08:31 PM
What did you mean by anchoring the line tom ?
I have been told to form a triangle with the line and stopping (pausing)
before rolling the cast forward. I will try the high hand position as shown
in the video.

Tom Nakashima
November 9th, 2005, 02:25 PM
"detoor" > wrote in message
> What did you mean by anchoring the line tom ?
> I have been told to form a triangle with the line and stopping (pausing)
> before rolling the cast forward. I will try the high hand position as
> shown in the video.

When I first learned the rollcast, I've found it best to anchor the line
with my index finger of my right hand (right handed caster). The line is
moving very slowly as you bring the line and form the D-loop...(it's not a
stop) but indeed a slight hesitation, then when you begin the forward cast,
load the rod and come to a stop.
Rollcasting on the lawn acts different than rollcasting on the water. On
the water you have a different surface tension on the line and you can
actually watch the line roll out, as shown in the video clip. On the lawn
or asphalt, the surface tension won't allow the line to glide out.

Here are a few more videos on casting techniques that you may want to learn.
They're easy and useful for the one-handed rod. Turn the volume up a bit.

http://www.questoutdoors.net/skills/fly/fcasting/

-tom