PDA

View Full Version : fly floatant

vincent p. norris
January 16th, 2004, 03:17 PM
>I am sick and tired of trying to apply Gink floatant to dry flies on cool
>mornings unable to get it out of the tube or vice versa when it gets hot
>spurting out and covering everything including self . Has anybody got a
>different floatant they use that is available here in Australia ?

I'll bet you can buy liquid silicone waterproofer for your shoes and
boots.

Here in the US, it comes in four-ounce bottles with a cotton dauber
attached to the cap. Daub it on your flies when you tie them, and let
them dry for 24 hours before using them.

vince

detoor
January 17th, 2004, 12:52 AM
I am sick and tired of trying to apply Gink floatant to dry flies on cool
mornings unable to get it out of the tube or vice versa when it gets hot
spurting out and covering everything including self . Has anybody got a
different floatant they use that is available here in Australia ?

Thanks in advance to your suggestions

Peter

Charlie Choc
January 17th, 2004, 12:56 AM
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 23:52:53 GMT, "detoor" >
wrote:

>I am sick and tired of trying to apply Gink floatant to dry flies on cool
>mornings unable to get it out of the tube or vice versa when it gets hot
>spurting out and covering everything including self . Has anybody got a
>different floatant they use that is available here in Australia ?

Can you get Loon Aquel there?
--
Charlie...

Mike Connor
January 17th, 2004, 01:49 AM
"detoor" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I am sick and tired of trying to apply Gink floatant to dry flies on cool
> mornings unable to get it out of the tube or vice versa when it gets hot
> spurting out and covering everything including self . Has anybody got a
> different floatant they use that is available here in Australia ?
>
> Thanks in advance to your suggestions
>
> Peter

Dissolve silicone wax ( floor polish) in lighter fluid.

TL
MC

Ernie
January 17th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Alboline is a face cream found in drug stores which might be
available there. One jar is a lifetime supply of floatant.
Ernie

"detoor" > wrote in message
> I am sick and tired of trying to apply Gink floatant to dry
flies on cool
> mornings unable to get it out of the tube or vice versa when
it gets hot
> spurting out and covering everything including self . Has
anybody got a
> different floatant they use that is available here in Australia
?

> Thanks in advance to your suggestions
>
> Peter

Sr.
January 17th, 2004, 04:40 PM
dry flies on cool
> mornings unable to get it out of the tube

just a wee bit of patience...

when it gets hot
> spurting out and covering everything including self

meerly dip the bottle in the stream a time or two...Relax my friend and
enjoy the fact you are on the water...
Sr.

"detoor" > wrote in message
> I am sick and tired of trying to apply Gink floatant to dry flies on cool
> mornings unable to get it out of the tube or vice versa when it gets hot
> spurting out and covering everything including self . Has anybody got a
> different floatant they use that is available here in Australia ?
>
> Thanks in advance to your suggestions
>
> Peter

Stephen Welsh
January 18th, 2004, 12:34 AM
"detoor" > wrote in
:

> I am sick and tired of trying to apply Gink floatant to dry flies on
> cool mornings unable to get it out of the tube or vice versa when it
> gets hot spurting out and covering everything including self . Has
> anybody got a different floatant they use that is available here in
> Australia ?
>
> Thanks in advance to your suggestions
>
> Peter

Peter,
Keep the Gink in a warm pocket on cool mornings and vice versa
on warm days.

I don't use floatant much at all these days but when I
do need some, I wipe my finger over the Mucilin pad I use for
keeping my line tip up, then rub that into the fly bits that
I wish annointed.

Someone else suggested Aquel from Loon, that worked very well
when I used it some time back.

As to the infamous Albolene you'll have to bring that in from OS.
The closest I've been able to find here, not that I've looked in
every chemist/cosmetics shop I've come across, is Sorbolene. This
has a different composition (from memory: it would be hard on your
flyline if you got it on there), is non-clear, and aromatic.

Steve

pw
January 18th, 2004, 04:45 AM
>I am sick and tired of trying to apply Gink floatant to dry flies on cool
>mornings unable to get it out of the tube or vice versa when it gets hot
>spurting out and covering everything including self . Has anybody got a
>different floatant they use that is available here in Australia ?
>
>Thanks in advance to your suggestions
>
> Peter

Can you get Loon products there? I only use their "Aquel".

Paul Williamson
Livingston, MT
please use "paulwilliamson at spamcop.net" for e-mail
thanks

Kiyu
January 18th, 2004, 05:28 AM
wrote:

>I am sick and tired of trying to apply Gink floatant to dry flies on cool
>mornings unable to get it out of the tube or vice versa when it gets hot
>spurting out and covering everything including self . Has anybody got a
>different floatant they use that is available here in Australia ?
>
>Thanks in advance to your suggestions
>
> Peter

Peter,
This is snipped from a message I posted in 1998 in response to the
same sort of problem you are encountering. I don't know what sort of
flotants you can get down under but it might be worthwhile running a
similar test to find the most suitable floatant for your conditions.

I used a window thermometer (just a comparative test anyway) and put
an equal amount of each in small collection bottles & placed the
bottles in a pan of 105 degree water and slowly allowed it to cool.

At 102 deg. all were liquid with the Aquel being the thickest, the
Orvis was next thickest with the Gink clearly the thinest.

At 94 deg. the Orvis solidified (returned to paste state).

At 85 deg. the Gink solidified (returned to paste state).

At 70 deg. the Aquel still had not solidified.

All are liquid when squeezed between the finger tips & thus exposed to
body heat which is the way the floatants are usually applied. The
Orvis seemed to have a bit more of a pasty feel to it.

The Aquel is silicone based & probably remains liquid but doesn't
change consistency much with temperature. I would suspect it may be
more likely to pick up and hold dirt to the fly.

The Orvis floatant would probably be better in hot weather or while
climbing up small mountain streams while the Gink would likely come
into its own in cooler environs. The Aquel would probably apply
easiest in extremely cold conditions.

Kiyu

Flyfish
January 18th, 2004, 04:11 PM
"Mike Connor" <Mike-Connor> wrote in
s.com:

> Dissolve silicone wax ( floor polish) in lighter fluid.

And should you get lost you can use your flies to start a fire :-)

Flyfish

Flyfish
January 18th, 2004, 04:12 PM
"detoor" > wrote in news:pP_Nb.15421$Wa.3654@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

> I am sick and tired of trying to apply Gink floatant to dry flies on cool
> mornings unable to get it out of the tube or vice versa when it gets hot
> spurting out and covering everything including self . Has anybody got a
> different floatant they use that is available here in Australia ?
>
> Thanks in advance to your suggestions
>
> Peter

I use Cortland Dab, comes in a tub and doesn't melt on the hot days and is
accessible on the cold ones.

Flyfish

GuyT
January 18th, 2004, 06:25 PM
"Flyfish" > wrote in message
.. .
> "detoor" > wrote in news:pP_Nb.15421$Wa.3654@news-
> server.bigpond.net.au:
>
> > I am sick and tired of trying to apply Gink floatant to dry flies on
cool
> > mornings unable to get it out of the tube or vice versa when it gets
hot
> > spurting out and covering everything including self . Has anybody got a
> > different floatant they use that is available here in Australia ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance to your suggestions
> >
> > Peter
> >

> I use Cortland Dab, comes in a tub and doesn't melt on the hot days and is
> accessible on the cold ones.
>
> Flyfish

I had the same problem with Gink. I purhased a tube of Scientific Anglers
floatant which has worked very well. It has a small hole in the flip top
applicator. Havn't had a floatant stain on my vest since using it. When it
runs out, I thought about refilling it with Gink since I have a couple of
containers in the closet.
Guy

Ernie
January 18th, 2004, 07:52 PM
"GuyT" > wrote in message
> I had the same problem with Gink. I purhased a tube of
Scientific Anglers
> floatant which has worked very well. It has a small hole in the
flip top
> applicator. Havn't had a floatant stain on my vest since using
it. When it
> runs out, I thought about refilling it with Gink since I have a
couple of
> containers in the closet.
> Guy

When Gink first came out it came in a little Red Tub with a screw
cap. It was solid, but melted on a hot day and the cap didn't
seal very well. You could always tell who used Gink by the spot
on their vest. I still have a couple of those little Red Tubs.
Ernie

Larry
January 18th, 2004, 07:53 PM
pw wrote:

>> Has anybody got a
>>different floatant they use that is available here in Australia ?

Curious about this thread... I have an ancient red tub of Gink paste
prior to the squeeze tube being sold that I never really used... I used
to use a product in the 60s that Garcia sold called Silicone float,
came in a bottle that loked sort of like an hourglass and you put the
fly in, tipped the jar and liquid filled th etop and then when you
tipped it back, the liquid returned to the bottom.

But really, since way back then, and since I learned to tie better
quality flies, I've never had the need to use a floatant (unless
I'm using a body material that teeth snag and it wicks up moisture).

It seems (based on the number of responses and all the different
"stuff" everyone else uses) that I'm WAY in the minority here...
does essentially EVERYONE use flotant??

Larry

Jim (Bear) Peterson
January 18th, 2004, 08:29 PM
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:53:37 GMT, Larry > wrote:

>It seems (based on the number of responses and all the different
>"stuff" everyone else uses) that I'm WAY in the minority here...
>does essentially EVERYONE use flotant??
>
>Larry

very, very rarely,, like trying to float a streamer across a spot as a
dead minnow,, and it worked too,, but normally no,,
BTW, Hi Larry,, I haven't had much chance to say that since your first
woolly bugger swap,,, hope you've caught a LOT of fish since then.

Bear
send any e-mail to
but first me remove OLD from this yahoo addy,
or remove oldgrizzly from ,,
however, while I will find the message if sent to the yahoo addy,
the smig.net addy is running at between 75 to 125 pieces of spam
a day so your message could get lost while I sort out the spam

please check out my better half's on-line projects

www.amazon.com/shops/inland_canal_general_store
unique hand silkscreened ****s, Education kits & Family Games,
Medical Posters, Household, Giftware, Nic-Nacs, and more.

www.cafeshops.com/everythinggoes
our own Folk Art or Additude on T-shirts, Sweatshirts, Coffee Cups,
Mouse Pads, Tote Bags, Hats, Tile Coasters, and more.

www.keen.com/Dawn+777
have a Tarot Card reading done today.
Click on the link to get started.

daytripper
January 18th, 2004, 08:57 PM
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:52:18 GMT, "Ernie"
> wrote:

>"GuyT" > wrote in message
>> I had the same problem with Gink. I purhased a tube of
>Scientific Anglers
>> floatant which has worked very well. It has a small hole in the
>flip top
>> applicator. Havn't had a floatant stain on my vest since using
>it. When it
>> runs out, I thought about refilling it with Gink since I have a
>couple of
>> containers in the closet.
>> Guy
>
>When Gink first came out it came in a little Red Tub with a screw
>cap. It was solid, but melted on a hot day and the cap didn't
>seal very well. You could always tell who used Gink by the spot
>on their vest. I still have a couple of those little Red Tubs.

And I still use a Gink-stained vest...

Ernie
January 18th, 2004, 10:01 PM
"Larry" > wrote in message
om...
> It seems (based on the number of responses and all the
different
> "stuff" everyone else uses) that I'm WAY in the minority
here...
> does essentially EVERYONE use flotant??
> Larry

Hi Larry,
I can't tie flies as nice as yours, but have always used
floatant of some kind. If a fly is doing well I fish it until it
is in rags. After catching a few fish the slime from their mouth
gets on the fly. It must be rinsed, dried and a floatant
applied. False casting and a film canister of crushed desiccant
do the drying part and Alboline is the floating. When it gets to
the point that nothing will revive it, I tie on another.
Ernie
Ernie

Stephen Welsh
January 18th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Larry > wrote in news:RCAOb.12376$7R6.1531
@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com:

> Curious about this thread... I have an ancient red tub of Gink paste
> prior to the squeeze tube being sold that I never really used... I used
> to use a product in the 60s that Garcia sold called Silicone float,
> came in a bottle that loked sort of like an hourglass and you put the
> fly in, tipped the jar and liquid filled th etop and then when you
> tipped it back, the liquid returned to the bottom.

I had/have soemthing like that purchased in the early '90s ... this
particular brand was a Mucilin product...

http://www.yagersflies.com/hodryflyfl.html

Still have the bottle somewhere (haven't seen it for a donkeys age)

> But really, since way back then, and since I learned to tie better
> quality flies, I've never had the need to use a floatant (unless
> I'm using a body material that teeth snag and it wicks up moisture).
>
> It seems (based on the number of responses and all the different
> "stuff" everyone else uses) that I'm WAY in the minority here...
> does essentially EVERYONE use flotant??

Nah ... rarely.

I firmly believe there is a "just in case" factor that kicks in, and
anglers apply the stuff as a matter of course.

Steve (Can you get patches for that stuff ... ;)

Frank Church
January 18th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Larry > wrote in news:RCAOb.12376$7R6.1531
@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com:

> It seems (based on the number of responses and all the different
> "stuff" everyone else uses) that I'm WAY in the minority here...
> does essentially EVERYONE use flotant??

.....only when using deer hair bass bugs, they tend to soak up water and
then ride in the meniscus. (not necessarily a bad thing) but it can make
for a sloppy/noisy pickup.

Frank Church

Wolfgang
January 18th, 2004, 11:59 PM
"daytripper" > wrote in message

> >When Gink first came out it came in a little Red Tub with a screw
> >cap. It was solid, but melted on a hot day and the cap didn't
> >seal very well. You could always tell who used Gink by the spot
> >on their vest. I still have a couple of those little Red Tubs.
>
> And I still use a Gink-stained vest...

I've never used Gink, but I have a hard time believing that it will
waterproof a vest any better than my beloved Albolene......the top left
pocket on mine will hold water for days. :)

Wolfgang

Willi
January 19th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Larry wrote:

> It seems (based on the number of responses and all the different
> "stuff" everyone else uses) that I'm WAY in the minority here...
> does essentially EVERYONE use flotant??

Sometimes, depends on the fly and the water.

More often I use it to treat my flyline and/or leader.

Willi

Larry
January 19th, 2004, 01:09 AM
> Hi Larry,
> I can't tie flies as nice as yours, but have always used
> floatant of some kind. If a fly is doing well I fish it until it
> is in rags. After catching a few fish the slime from their mouth
> gets on the fly. It must be rinsed, dried and a floatant
> applied. False casting and a film canister of crushed desiccant
> do the drying part and Alboline is the floating. When it gets to
> the point that nothing will revive it, I tie on another.
> Ernie

Thanks Ernie-

I STILL have one of your old "Nuggets" that will forevermore remain
unfished, and I think it was tied pretty nicely =)

For awhile I was using a pre-treat from Loon called Hydrostop for Wulff
type flies anmd some Trudes that used a body material that tended to
absorb a bitmore water, or as I mentioned, got abit ragged from fishes
teeth, but other than that, I've never had much need for it. I *DO*
tend to hackle my flies a bit heavier than some tyers, but I guess
that's a"Fishing Western Waters" kind of thing... most of my fishing is
done in freestone waters with a lot of plunge pools.

Last summer I used the same size 17 CDC & Elk for 2 days, caught 58 fish
on it and never had to do anything more than rinse it in water and wipe
it dry on a patch, then false cast it a few times to get it to float
like a cork... finally lost it to an alder across the stream that I
couldn't get to.

Looking forward to another day like that this season.... =)

Larry

Larry
January 19th, 2004, 01:11 AM
> very, very rarely,, like trying to float a streamer across a spot as a
> dead minnow,, and it worked too,, but normally no,,
> BTW, Hi Larry,, I haven't had much chance to say that since your first
> woolly bugger swap,,, hope you've caught a LOT of fish since then.

Thanks Bear... nice to hear from you, too!

It was a GREAT Swap, we had 56 tyers in that sucker and all but one set
made it out and to the rightful owner safely.

> unique hand silkscreened ****s, Education kits & Family Games,
> Medical Posters, Household, Giftware, Nic-Nacs, and more.

BTW, you may want to edit the above offering from your better half,
unless she REALLY IS talented enough to sell silkscreened ****s... =^)

Larry

Ernie
January 19th, 2004, 03:07 AM
"Larry" > wrote in message
m...
> Last summer I used the same size 17 CDC & Elk for 2 days,
caught 58 fish
> on it and never had to do anything more than rinse it in water
and wipe
> it dry on a patch, then false cast it a few times to get it to
float
> like a cork... finally lost it to an alder across the stream
that I
> couldn't get to.
> Larry

Well the CDC makes a difference, I never tied any of them.
Perhaps it is the size 17, which I never tied either. :)
Ernie

Jim (Bear) Peterson
January 19th, 2004, 06:48 AM
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:11:52 GMT, Larry > wrote:

>> unique hand silkscreened ****s, Education kits & Family Games,
>> Medical Posters, Household, Giftware, Nic-Nacs, and more.
>
>BTW, you may want to edit the above offering from your better half,
>unless she REALLY IS talented enough to sell silkscreened ****s... =^)

thanks, Larry,, my head was pounding like a triphammer when I typed
that,, she doesn't do the silk screening,, that's done by a very
talented pair of guys in Amsterdam,,one's the artist, the other a silk
screener,, both are great at what they do.

Bear
send any e-mail to
but first me remove OLD from this yahoo addy,
or remove oldgrizzly from ,,
however, while I will find the message if sent to the yahoo addy,
the smig.net addy is running at between 75 to 125 pieces of spam
a day so your message could get lost while I sort out the spam

please check out my better half's on-line projects

www.amazon.com/shops/inland_canal_general_store
unique hand silk screened ****s, Education kits & Family Games,
Medical Posters, Household, Giftware, Nic-Nacs, and more.

www.cafeshops.com/everythinggoes
our own Folk Art or Additude on T-shirts, Sweatshirts, Coffee Cups,
Mouse Pads, Tote Bags, Hats, Tile Coasters, and more.

www.keen.com/Dawn+777
have a Tarot Card reading done today.
Click on the link to get started.

Scott Seidman
January 19th, 2004, 02:54 PM
"detoor" > wrote in news:pP_Nb.15421$Wa.3654@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

> I am sick and tired of trying to apply Gink floatant to dry flies on cool
> mornings unable to get it out of the tube or vice versa when it gets hot
> spurting out and covering everything including self . Has anybody got a
> different floatant they use that is available here in Australia ?
>
> Thanks in advance to your suggestions
>
> Peter

Have you tried using one of the appliances that hangs your bottle upside
down? My problems with Gink concern how runny it gets when it gets very
hot, but it always comes out of the tube when I set it upside down.

As a side note, for a variety of reasons, I gave up Gink some years ago,
and tried many different products, most from Orvis and Loon. I didn't find
anything that worked (for me, at least) as well and trouble free as Gink,
and have recently gone back to it.

Scott

Scott Seidman
January 19th, 2004, 02:59 PM
"Jim (Bear) Peterson" > wrote in
:

> thanks, Larry,, my head was pounding like a triphammer when I typed
> that,, she doesn't do the silk screening,, that's done by a very
> talented pair of guys in Amsterdam,,one's the artist, the other a silk
> screener,, both are great at what they do.

Larry was gently pointing out that usenet etiquette suggests limiting your
..sig to four or five lines. It gets a little tedious when the adds at the
bottom of the page are longer than the posts.

Scott

Tim J.
January 19th, 2004, 04:07 PM
"Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> "Jim (Bear) Peterson" > wrote in
> :
>
> > thanks, Larry,, my head was pounding like a triphammer when I typed
> > that,, she doesn't do the silk screening,, that's done by a very
> > talented pair of guys in Amsterdam,,one's the artist, the other a silk
> > screener,, both are great at what they do.
> >

> Larry was gently pointing out that usenet etiquette suggests limiting your
> .sig to four or five lines. It gets a little tedious when the adds at the
> bottom of the page are longer than the posts.

Uh, I don't think that's what Larry was pointing out, although I heartily agree.
I think Larry was suggesting that Jim ought to get rid of the "****s" and
replace them with shirts. Very stinky business, those silk-screened ****s.
--
TL,
Tim

Ernie
January 19th, 2004, 05:19 PM
"Tim J." > wrote in message
> Uh, I don't think that's what Larry was pointing out, although
I heartily agree.
> I think Larry was suggesting that Jim ought to get rid of the
"****s" and
> replace them with shirts. Very stinky business, those
silk-screened ****s.
> TL,
> Tim

Stinky, but very fine ****. :)
Ernie

Tim J.
January 19th, 2004, 05:43 PM

To further Scott's comment: http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/signatur.html
--
HTH,
Tim

Larry L
January 19th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Hydrophobe is the best I've found, always the right consistency at any
temperature and it's rumored it will float a quarter in riffly water ( but
I've never really tried that ;-)

It's hard to find, think it comes from France ... but I'm not sure of that
either <G>

Larry
January 20th, 2004, 12:42 AM
> Well the CDC makes a difference, I never tied any of them.
> Perhaps it is the size 17, which I never tied either. :)

CDC is great stuff... and not a typo, a REAL size 17 (Tiemco 102Y hooks)

Jim (Bear) Peterson
January 20th, 2004, 12:51 AM
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:07:19 -0500, "Tim J."
> wrote:

>"Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
>> "Jim (Bear) Peterson" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > thanks, Larry,, my head was pounding like a triphammer when I typed
>> > that,, she doesn't do the silk screening,, that's done by a very
>> > talented pair of guys in Amsterdam,,one's the artist, the other a silk
>> > screener,, both are great at what they do.
>> >

>> Larry was gently pointing out that usenet etiquette suggests limiting your
>> .sig to four or five lines. It gets a little tedious when the adds at the
>> bottom of the page are longer than the posts.
>
>Uh, I don't think that's what Larry was pointing out, although I heartily agree.
>I think Larry was suggesting that Jim ought to get rid of the "****s" and
>replace them with shirts. Very stinky business, those silk-screened ****s.

now that is proof why a spell checker should not replace
proofreading,,

Bear
send any e-mail to
but first me remove OLD from this yahoo addy,

please check out my better half's on-line projects
www.amazon.com/shops/inland_canal_general_store
www.cafeshops.com/everythinggoes
www.keen.com/Dawn+777

detoor
January 20th, 2004, 04:40 AM
I have a bottle of that but am apprehensive about the smell associated
with it. I have been using cordulids of an evening in cold windy water at
Lake Tantangara and with the waves the fly eventually absorbs water and
sinks at which point the browns appeared to lose interest. A change to
another cordulid and they would recommence biting until it became soaked .
My options then was to tie the original back on but it had not dried and
therefore didn't float for very long. I was figuring that applying a
floatant before use would increase the usable time of the fly on the night
but as it was so cool the gink was unusable. This was the main reason for
starting the thread and I wish to thank each and everyone for their
response.

Peter

Stephen Welsh
January 20th, 2004, 05:02 AM
"detoor" > wrote in
:

> was figuring that applying a
> floatant before use would increase the usable time of the fly on the
> night but as it was so cool the gink was unusable.

The weather has been rather cool (for Aus.) of late hasn't it ...
SE Aus. in the fridge for a week or so. Warmed up enough yesterday
for the Joe Blakes to be out and about ... 3' black, and a 5' tiger.
*willys*

Some dessicant (silica beads) might be useful as well as pre-treating
the fly, store your flick dried drownded fly in that till required
again.

Then again you might tie your some of your Cordullids with a cork or
foam body, keep the duck breast wing and head for the profile ...

Steve

Hooked
January 20th, 2004, 08:26 AM
"Jim (Bear) Peterson" > wrote in message

> now that is proof why a spell checker should not replace
> proofreading,,

I blame it on Microsoft!!

They mess up everything else they do!

Jim (Bear) Peterson
January 20th, 2004, 09:55 AM
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 01:26:24 -0600, "Hooked" >
wrote:

>"Jim (Bear) Peterson" > wrote in message
>>
>> now that is proof why a spell checker should not replace
>> proofreading,,
>>

>I blame it on Microsoft!!
>
>They mess up everything else they do!

wellll I was using MS Word at the time,,,

Bear
send any e-mail to
but first me remove OLD from this yahoo addy,

please check out my better half's on-line projects
www.amazon.com/shops/inland_canal_general_store
www.cafeshops.com/everythinggoes
www.keen.com/Dawn+777

January 21st, 2004, 03:53 PM