fly floatant

Old January 16th, 2004, 02:17 PM
vincent p. norris

Default fly floatant

I am sick and tired of trying to apply Gink floatant to dry flies on cool
mornings unable to get it out of the tube or vice versa when it gets hot
spurting out and covering everything including self . Has anybody got a
different floatant they use that is available here in Australia ?

I'll bet you can buy liquid silicone waterproofer for your shoes and
boots.

Here in the US, it comes in four-ounce bottles with a cotton dauber
attached to the cap. Daub it on your flies when you tie them, and let
them dry for 24 hours before using them.

vince
Old January 16th, 2004, 11:52 PM
detoor

I am sick and tired of trying to apply Gink floatant to dry flies on cool
mornings unable to get it out of the tube or vice versa when it gets hot
spurting out and covering everything including self . Has anybody got a
different floatant they use that is available here in Australia ?

Thanks in advance to your suggestions

Peter

Old January 16th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Charlie Choc

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 23:52:53 GMT, "detoor"
wrote:

I am sick and tired of trying to apply Gink floatant to dry flies on cool
mornings unable to get it out of the tube or vice versa when it gets hot
spurting out and covering everything including self . Has anybody got a
different floatant they use that is available here in Australia ?

Can you get Loon Aquel there?
--
Charlie...
Old January 17th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Mike Connor

"detoor" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news
I am sick and tired of trying to apply Gink floatant to dry flies on cool
mornings unable to get it out of the tube or vice versa when it gets hot
spurting out and covering everything including self . Has anybody got a
different floatant they use that is available here in Australia ?

Thanks in advance to your suggestions

Peter

Dissolve silicone wax ( floor polish) in lighter fluid.

TL
MC

Old January 17th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Ernie

Alboline is a face cream found in drug stores which might be
available there. One jar is a lifetime supply of floatant.
Ernie

news

?

Old January 17th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Sr.

dry flies on cool
mornings unable to get it out of the tube

just a wee bit of patience...

when it gets hot
spurting out and covering everything including self

meerly dip the bottle in the stream a time or two...Relax my friend and
enjoy the fact you are on the water...
Sr.

news

Old January 17th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Stephen Welsh

"detoor" wrote in
news
I am sick and tired of trying to apply Gink floatant to dry flies on
cool mornings unable to get it out of the tube or vice versa when it
gets hot spurting out and covering everything including self . Has
anybody got a different floatant they use that is available here in
Australia ?

Thanks in advance to your suggestions

Peter

Peter,
Keep the Gink in a warm pocket on cool mornings and vice versa
on warm days.

I don't use floatant much at all these days but when I
do need some, I wipe my finger over the Mucilin pad I use for
keeping my line tip up, then rub that into the fly bits that
I wish annointed.

Someone else suggested Aquel from Loon, that worked very well
when I used it some time back.

As to the infamous Albolene you'll have to bring that in from OS.
The closest I've been able to find here, not that I've looked in
every chemist/cosmetics shop I've come across, is Sorbolene. This
has a different composition (from memory: it would be hard on your
flyline if you got it on there), is non-clear, and aromatic.

Steve
Old January 18th, 2004, 03:45 AM
pw

I am sick and tired of trying to apply Gink floatant to dry flies on cool
mornings unable to get it out of the tube or vice versa when it gets hot
spurting out and covering everything including self . Has anybody got a
different floatant they use that is available here in Australia ?

Thanks in advance to your suggestions

Peter

Can you get Loon products there? I only use their "Aquel".

Paul Williamson
Livingston, MT
please use "paulwilliamson at spamcop.net" for e-mail
thanks

Old January 18th, 2004, 04:28 AM
Kiyu

wrote:

I am sick and tired of trying to apply Gink floatant to dry flies on cool
mornings unable to get it out of the tube or vice versa when it gets hot
spurting out and covering everything including self . Has anybody got a
different floatant they use that is available here in Australia ?

Thanks in advance to your suggestions

Peter

Peter,
This is snipped from a message I posted in 1998 in response to the
same sort of problem you are encountering. I don't know what sort of
flotants you can get down under but it might be worthwhile running a
similar test to find the most suitable floatant for your conditions.

I used a window thermometer (just a comparative test anyway) and put
an equal amount of each in small collection bottles & placed the
bottles in a pan of 105 degree water and slowly allowed it to cool.

At 102 deg. all were liquid with the Aquel being the thickest, the
Orvis was next thickest with the Gink clearly the thinest.

At 94 deg. the Orvis solidified (returned to paste state).

At 85 deg. the Gink solidified (returned to paste state).

At 70 deg. the Aquel still had not solidified.

All are liquid when squeezed between the finger tips & thus exposed to
body heat which is the way the floatants are usually applied. The
Orvis seemed to have a bit more of a pasty feel to it.

The Aquel is silicone based & probably remains liquid but doesn't
change consistency much with temperature. I would suspect it may be
more likely to pick up and hold dirt to the fly.

The Orvis floatant would probably be better in hot weather or while
climbing up small mountain streams while the Gink would likely come
into its own in cooler environs. The Aquel would probably apply
easiest in extremely cold conditions.

Kiyu

Old January 18th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Flyfish

"Mike Connor" Mike-Connor wrote in
s.com:

Dissolve silicone wax ( floor polish) in lighter fluid.

And should you get lost you can use your flies to start a fire :-)

Flyfish