FishingBanter

-   Fly Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Dry and dropper question (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=31417)

Jarmo Hurri[_2_] May 1st, 2008 12:20 PM

Dry and dropper question

Hello gentlemen.

I have been absent from this group for a while because of real-life
issues (too much work). Fortunately the summer holiday is approaching
- hence a fly-fishing related question came to my mind.

Is there a way to make a dry and dropper rig so that adjusting the
depth of the dropper could be done easily? I do not want to use an
adjustable indicator or any other weird gadget, just two flies and
tippet / leader material.

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .

notbob May 1st, 2008 02:17 PM

Dry and dropper question

On 2008-05-01, Jarmo Hurri wrote:

Is there a way to make a dry and dropper rig so that adjusting the
depth of the dropper could be done easily? I do not want to use an
adjustable indicator or any other weird gadget, just two flies and
tippet / leader material.

I haven't tried it yet, being so new to FF, but I was thinking multiple
length droppers with a uni knot to the dry hook bend. It would be a pretty
quick way to change droppers. Maybe loop-to-loop for dropper loops. Just
spitballin'.

nb

Mike[_6_] May 1st, 2008 04:04 PM

Dry and dropper question

On May 1, 1:20 pm, Jarmo Hurri wrote:
Hello gentlemen.

I have been absent from this group for a while because of real-life
issues (too much work). Fortunately the summer holiday is approaching
- hence a fly-fishing related question came to my mind.

Is there a way to make a dry and dropper rig so that adjusting the
depth of the dropper could be done easily? I do not want to use an
adjustable indicator or any other weird gadget, just two flies and
tippet / leader material.

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .

Tie your dropper on, and mount your dry fly using a loop. Just form a
loop in the line, thread the loop through the eye of the hook, and
over the fly. Pull slowly tight.

If you want to adjust the depth, just loosen the loop and slide the
dry fly along the leader.

This wont work with very small dries, but those would be pointless on
a dry and dropper rig anyway.

TL
MC

Mike[_6_] May 1st, 2008 04:07 PM

Dry and dropper question

Of course, the drop fly is tied to the end of your leader.

TL
MC

Mike[_6_] May 1st, 2008 04:14 PM

Dry and dropper question

It will also work using a leader ring and the same loop, if you want a
"stand-off" dry fly, and this will also allow you to use even knotted
leaders if they pass through the ring. Otherwise the adjustment is of
course limited to the distance between knots.

TL
MC

Mike[_6_] May 1st, 2008 04:18 PM

Dry and dropper question

Of course you can remove or change the dry fly at any time, simply by
passing it back through the loop.

TL
MC

Mike[_6_] May 1st, 2008 04:30 PM

Dry and dropper question

Is a bit difficult to explain clearly, so here´s a sketch;

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4143/slidedryzd1.jpg

TL
MC

rw May 1st, 2008 06:43 PM

Dry and dropper question

Mike wrote:
Is a bit difficult to explain clearly, so here´s a sketch;

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4143/slidedryzd1.jpg

TL
MC

That's a pretty sweet solution, Mike.

Lazarus Cooke May 1st, 2008 10:44 PM

Dry and dropper question

In article
,
Mike wrote:

Tie your dropper on, and mount your dry fly using a loop. Just form a
loop in the line, thread the loop through the eye of the hook, and
over the fly. Pull slowly tight.

If you want to adjust the depth, just loosen the loop and slide the
dry fly along the leader.

This wont work with very small dries, but those would be pointless on
a dry and dropper rig anyway.

Wow! That is such an elegant solution. And I've never heard of it
anywhere before.

Congratulations and tight lines

Lazarus

jeff miller[_2_] May 1st, 2008 10:47 PM

Dry and dropper question

Mike wrote:
Of course, the drop fly is tied to the end of your leader.

TL
MC

ah...that's the part i didn't get. sounds workable, except won't the dry
fly slip during parts of the casting motion?

....i also like the idea of a short permanently attached leader to the
bend of the dry fly hook with a loop at the end for loop to loop
attachment of varying lengths of pre-rigged dropper leaders with flies.
i saw something - i think in an orvis circular - about a new (to me)
nymphing leader system that has a series of loops down its length
imparting a more natural action to the nymph as it moves with the current.

jeff