Baitcasting reels-the attractive antique that reel companies won'tadmit to

Old August 28th, 2008, 10:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty

Default Baitcasting reels-the attractive antique that reel companies won't admit to

"RichZ" wrote in message
ANTIQUE AUDIO wrote:

I still don't see the logic in using a baitcast reel for fish smaller
than 10 pound though, because the modern large spinning reels will
definitely handle up that that size fish and line with ease- and cast
easier, and further.

Large spinning reels are heavy, bulky, and ungainly. From a retrieve
perspective, the entire design of a spinning reel is a mechanical
nightmare, that unnecessarily takes the energy around two right angles.

If casting distance was of a major advantage in bass angling, there might
be some merit to using big spinning gear. But since it's not, then there
really is no need to burden yourself with a reel that twists the line,
weighs twice as much or more than a casting reel that will do the job, is
out of balance by design, and requires a rod equipped with gigantic
guides.

Hate to argue with a guy who's forgotten more than I'll ever know, but:

Maybe there's no NEED to burden myself, but there's a DESIRE to do so. Sure,
reels can twist line, but some reels do much better than others in their
anti-twist properties, and twist has been minimally problematic. And it's a
non-factor with braid.

I believe the weight of the reel is not as significant as baitcasters
because of the inverted position, and the size of the guides doesn't affect
me, as far as I know.

I used to use some baitcasting and it was OK, I just didn't like what I
perceived as less versatility as spinning. And they weren't difficult to
use, not the rocket science that some make it out to be (not including Rich
in that group).

The bottom line is I'm just a recreational angler who enjoys spinning and
feel it accomplishes everything I ask of it.

Old August 29th, 2008, 12:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

Marty wrote:
I believe the weight of the reel is not as significant as baitcasters
because of the inverted position,

Spinning fans always rely on this argument, but it's based on faulty
logic, imho. There are precious few moments in fishing in which I hold
the rod on a horizontal plane, other than vertical fishing, which
amounts to less than 10% of my time. In fact, it's attitude is much more
often much closer to vertical than horizontal. All that extra weight is
extended out in front of my hand by the long reel foot, totally
destroying the balance. A casting reel on the other hand, is IN my hand,
and when I hold the rod vertically, all the weight of both the rod and
reel (which is lighter than the spinning combo in the first place) is
pretty much centered above my hand. It's not too bad of a deal with the
little bitty reel on my drop shot rod, but any spinning reel capable of
handling 12 pound line or more is just too awkward and heavy when the
rod is much more vertical than 2 o'clock.

The bottom line is I'm just a recreational angler who enjoys spinning

and
feel it accomplishes everything I ask of it.

And I have no problem with that position at all. My problem is with
no-it-alls who come on stating that there's no use in bass fishing for a
bait casting reel.
Old August 29th, 2008, 03:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com

"AJ" wrote in message SNIP

Real men use a fly rod? ;-)) I was out fishing yesterday morning, couple
of bass, half dozen pike, nothing really special. Used a baitcaster
never even thinking about it, then I remembered this thread. It's not
rocket science at all, what it's really like is the Shakespeare model
1776 Wonder-reel I had as a kid. Push the button, cast, reel it in.
Caught my first 'northwoods' pike on it also a dogfish on the same day.
Anyone else? I still have it along with the matching Wonder-rod. I think
I'll dig it out, put some line on it and take it fishing this weekend.

LOL, hanging on the wall of my office, I've still got the steel rod and
Pflueger knuckle-buster reel, with braided Dacron line that I learned to
cast with! My dad gave me the rod he had to learn on, we didn't have the
money for one of those new-fangled pushbutton reels!

I prefer my current baitcasters, and like you, fish one without even
thinking about it. I cast as far as I want to, and do it with more accuracy
and ease than I can with a spinning reel.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old August 29th, 2008, 03:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Guy Anderson, Sr.

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 20:07:02 -0400, RichZ
wrote:

............much great stuff snipped.........
On the other hand, I love spinning gear for application requiring 6lb
test line or less.

Rich, once again you've smacked the nail square on the head, knocked
it outa the park, hit the bullseye, scored a hat trick, rolled 300,
gold medaled, etc., etc.

Thanks!
Old August 30th, 2008, 10:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Guy Anderson, Sr.

Oh man----you fellas sure know how to make me feel OLD!!
Old January 16th, 2019, 06:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
[email protected]

On Sunday, August 10, 2008 at 7:34:52 PM UTC-4, ANTIQUE AUDIO wrote:
heads up people- baitcaster reels are older than the Ford Model T, and
just as antiquated

basically the only reason people used them, was back in 1900, there
was nothing else- only baitcasters and fly reels- spinning and
spincasting reels were not invented yet

anyone that says they can "cast further with a baitcaster" is FOS-
think about it, use common sense

on a spinning reel, the only thing that has to leave the reel, is the
line itself

on a baitcaster, the spool has to turn

there is more friction turning the spool, than the line just leaving
the spinning reel

so there you have it

why do people use them ? for the same reason they like 1970
Chevelles, tube stereos, and battleships- they are a cool relic of the
past

truth be told, there's not a freshwater fish alive, you can't land
with a spinning or spincasting reel

the only "practical" sane use for a baitcaster, is deep see fishing or
trolling, for very, very big fish- like swordfish- and trolling- where
you toss your bait over the side, let line out, and troll the lure

sure, there are people that can cast 100-150 ft. with a baitcaster

but even a novice can cast 250 feet with a spinning reel-

there's simply no comparison- but for some reason, these "bass pros"
won't admit to that-

reason- they are getting cash endorsements from reel companies- and
the reel companies make a ton of money from baitcasting reels people
use a few times, have problems with, then sit and collect dust

just look at how many old baitcasting reels there are on Ebay. Just
try casting with one. The old baitcasters had no clutch, drag, or
casting resistance settings- all they had was a clicker button-

the clicker served as a half-assed "drag" to wear down a fish, and an
"alarm" to tell the fisherman, when a fish has hit his lure while
trolling

NOT for casting, or for clutching

the recent additions of the clutch, drag, release button, etc.
settings, was merely an attempt at making a reel designed for cranking
a big fish in, to also cast

having said this, I have spent last 2 days practicing casting an old
1960's vintage baitcaster reel, the reel handle actually spins when
casted, there is no release button on it- maximum casting range so far
is 60 feet- that's about it

Hehe,...the clicker was NOT a drag,...was simply to alert the fisherman there was a nibble on a set out pole. Use it constantly and you won'y have a clicker before long! :-) The user's THUMB was the usual "Drag" on an older baitcaster,.... and even with some older freespool models having a designated drag feature,...a thumb on the spool can be still used to increase drag at times.

....... you an many others are missing the point too. They're just plain FUN to fish with,....quality vintage ones that is. Get an old Pflueger Summit 1993L in hand and a thing of beauty too! No plastic crap here (some weight though but it's a small reel so not an issue)..... and if you want freespool get the Pflueger Summit 1995 as I recall.

By the way,.... one other great "feature of a baitcaster is with a good braided line backing and a short mono leader, there is almost NO stretch to the line so more positive set hooks, and on a heavy fish he comes where you lead! :-)

Joseph Tousignant
Ti Rod Tactical
Old March 6th, 2020, 02:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
[email protected]

It's a simple fact baitcaster reels will outcast a spinning reel without a question. It's just a known fact not sure what your experience is with baitcasters but there is a reason professional bassfisherman use mostly baitcasters( most using spinning reels for certain baits) and it's not bc of sponsors or money. Its because they are far superior for distance and technique
Old May 3rd, 2020, 11:27 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
[email protected]

I find for 1/32 oz jigs a closed face spinning reel with 6 lb line casts without tangles for days. Where as a baitcast reel handles 12 lb mono 1it 3/16 oz with seldom any overrun let alone backlash. As far as friction in casting with a spinning reel as the line spins off the reel, the faster the cast the greater is air resistance created, so heavier lines create a lot of resistance, more than bait casters. My baitcaster is lighter than my ultralight spinning reel. Each type of reel has it' particular advantage, personally I always thought I cast farther with a bait caster, at least when line of 10# or greater was used,