Turning a fish upside down

Old December 10th, 2007, 06:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

Default Turning a fish upside down

I've been watching the "New Fly Fisher" which broadcast Sunday
mornings. Yesterday I learned that if you turn a fish upside down
while they're in the water, they'll lose equilibrium and won't struggle.
Makes it easy to unhook and release them.
-tom

Old December 10th, 2007, 06:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:08:45 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"
wrote:

I've been watching the "New Fly Fisher" which broadcast Sunday
mornings. Yesterday I learned that if you turn a fish upside down
while they're in the water, they'll lose equilibrium and won't struggle.
Makes it easy to unhook and release them.
-tom

That's a well known way to avoid having to use a net. Coupled with a barbless
hook it's about the least stressful way to turn a caught fish loose...

/daytripper (Keep watching, all kinds of neat tricks out there :-)
Old December 10th, 2007, 06:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"daytripper" wrote

to avoid having to use a net. Coupled with a barbless
hook it's about the least stressful way to turn a caught fish loose...

/daytripper (Keep watching, all kinds of neat tricks out there :-)

it does work very well

BUT

I still carry a net on waters where bigger fish are a real possibilty ....
the net allows me to subdue a big, hot, fish, faster, when he's not so
tired yet. I can get him in a net sooner than I would be able to "grab"
him. Once in the net and still thrashing, I turn him upside down to make
dehooking easier .... and it's been a few years since I fished with a barbed
hook ( yeah I "early release" a few more than I did with barbed hooks, but
that isn't a big deal )

Old December 10th, 2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"Larry L" wrote in message

"daytripper" wrote

to avoid having to use a net. Coupled with a barbless
hook it's about the least stressful way to turn a caught fish loose...

/daytripper (Keep watching, all kinds of neat tricks out there :-)

it does work very well

BUT

I still carry a net on waters where bigger fish are a real possibilty ....
the net allows me to subdue a big, hot, fish, faster, when he's not so
tired yet. I can get him in a net sooner than I would be able to "grab"
him. Once in the net and still thrashing, I turn him upside down to
make dehooking easier .... and it's been a few years since I fished with a
barbed hook ( yeah I "early release" a few more than I did with barbed
hooks, but that isn't a big deal )

Yes, that's exactly what the angler did, get the fish in the net first,
then turn it upside down to unhook and release.
I didn't know a fish would lose equilibrium in water if they were
turned upside down.
Man doesn't lose equilibrium in water.
-tom

Old December 10th, 2007, 06:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

wrote:

I've been watching the "New Fly Fisher" which broadcast Sunday
mornings. Yesterday I learned that if you turn a fish upside down
while they're in the water, they'll lose equilibrium and won't struggle.
Makes it easy to unhook and release them.
-tom

That's a well known way to avoid having to use a net. Coupled with a
barbless
hook it's about the least stressful way to turn a caught fish loose...

/daytripper (Keep watching, all kinds of neat tricks out there :-)

Great to learn new things.
-tom

Old December 10th, 2007, 06:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Tom Nakashima" wrote

Man doesn't lose equilibrium in water.
-tom

You have OBVIOUSLY NEVER seen me attempt to wade

Old December 10th, 2007, 06:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"Larry L" wrote in message

"Tom Nakashima" wrote

Man doesn't lose equilibrium in water.
-tom

You have OBVIOUSLY NEVER seen me attempt to wade

LOL...
Hey, my friend fantasizes of banging a mermaid someday,
I better tell him to be on top.
-tom

Old December 10th, 2007, 07:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"Tom Nakashima" wrote in message

Man doesn't lose equilibrium in water.

Not true.

Wolfgang

Old December 10th, 2007, 07:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"Tom Nakashima" wrote in message

Man doesn't lose equilibrium in water.

Not true.

Wolfgang

You're right,
Man can lose equilibrium out of water as well.
-tom

Old December 10th, 2007, 07:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Tom Nakashima wrote:
I've been watching the "New Fly Fisher" which broadcast Sunday
mornings. Yesterday I learned that if you turn a fish upside down
while they're in the water, they'll lose equilibrium and won't struggle.
Makes it easy to unhook and release them.
-tom

It works with trout, but (in my experience) with whitefish.