Scents + ethics/morality

Old December 9th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Josh

Default Scents + ethics/morality

Well as long as many of us are sitting around till springtime only wishing
we could get out on the water, I thought I'd try this perhaps controversial
question out on you guy/gals.

I'm not sure if scents work or not. I tend to think they do, but perhaps
that's just a psychological crutch I use (which is ok if it works . . . I
think). But I get the drift that many . . . perhaps even most members of
ROFB agree they do not work eg. see recent thread information with Joe
H's response. I know there's been an ongoing debate and am not sure of the
numbers, but let's assume most members agree that they do not work. . . .
That being the case,

I've seen just about every major tournament competitor (BASS, FLW etc)
endorse scents at one time or another. Do group members see any issues of an
ethical or moral nature in the peddeling of those products by the pros (who
must have a good idea if they legitimately work or not) if they don't really
work.?

I recall some time ago asking a similar question about endorsements of
other products by pros (eg. Hank Parker's long time Hummingbird is God's
greatest gift to fishermen. . . now with someone else). And everyone seemed
to have no problem with it because "it's how they make their living." I did
and do have a problem with it. I very much enjoy Bill Dance as a fisherman
( though he fishes nothing but stocked ponds any longer) and a person. I
understand he's a golden human being, but everyone has to know Bill would
endorse tying a cow on the end of his line if someone paid him a buck to say
it.

I guess the core question is, does anyone else feel like it's
inappropriate for people to endorse "any product" recieve endorsement monies
just because it's a sponsor and the mouthpiece is a name competitor? Just
wondering how rest of you feel. ok...shoot.
--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old December 9th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Illinois Fisherman

People do what they need to do to survive or to just get a little extra.
Some do it at the expense of others - no morals.
What do they care if you buy a product that does not work. "I wanted to buy
the BASS O' MATIC from SNL." - There's a sucker born every minute. Some are
just so ME oriented they stink. Some just want to help others for no
recognition. The bigger the ego the bigger the jerk.

In a tournament where each cast is a potential fish catch, a Pro is not
going to take the time to spray his lure with some scent. The time lost
doing that could mean 2 to three casts per minute. That is a lot of missed
cast per tournament. The lost fish potential is too great.

If scent worked we would all be "stink bait dead stick fishing" for Bass - I
haven't seen any lately? Color, vibration/sound and the Bass's nature to eat
what excites it or bothers it works. Spinners, buzz bait, poppers, chuggers,
plugs, jigs, cranks - is there a theme here... I would not want to throw a
stinky plastic dip bait worm around my boat. What scent would I pick if they
worked? - my choice is a combo of rotted garlic/worm/frog with sprinkles of
grasshopper.

Old December 9th, 2003, 07:54 PM
BassMr.

Have you ever heard of Uncle Josh pork frogs and trailers? They have been
around forever.
It is hard today to find a plastic bait that isn't scented,salt
impregnated,or just plain stinks to begin with.It either stinks because it
is manufactured that way or it stinks because you can get a bite with it.
As far as tournaments and winning money,if the bite is tough,pros and
amateurs alike will dip their bait in crap if they think it will get a bite.
If it was a moral issue,I would be thinking of joining PETA!

Old December 9th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Charles B. Summers

If scents work for you... then they work. I've never bought a bottled scent
to spray on, but have tried the smelly jelly a few times. Mostly, the only
thing that I have that comes scented is the Powerbaits... and I love those,
just because the bass seem to love them too!

Old December 9th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Chris Rennert

Unfortunately in this society money is a key factor in almost everything we
do, so if it takes pushing a product to make a living even if you don't
really use the product or really feel it is worth while then I guess that is
what you have to do.
Now as for scents, I definitely use them, my thought is , if they don't
help, they sure don't hurt, and I am not going to be caught on the short
side of that stick. Why not appeal to all their senses. Berkley obviously
believes in them, I don't know what their R&D bill is a year , but I am
guessing it is pretty hefty. I know the species I chase most of the time,
scent is probably the biggest factor in getting them to bite.

Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

Chris

Old December 9th, 2003, 09:34 PM
RG

I'd guess that you could apply the "THIS is GOOD! " program to every pro in
every sport for everything they endorse.

Is a Merc a better engine that Johns/Suz/Yam/issan ??? or does the pro ride
it because he either gets paid or gets the
motor/boat/bait/reel/rod/shirt/pants/tacklebox/etc etc. cheaper or even for
free?? Of course he gets a "deal" to endorse the product.
Better not stop at scents.

Does Tiger Woods reeaaalllly use Nike clubs or whatever??? Perhaps not...
I've heard that they are made to the specs of some other brand of club that
he liked. You and I can't even buy the same thing. At least I can buy the
same scents, if I want to ( I think ).

The reality is... if the guy is a pro, he is endorsing SOMETHING that may or
may not work as well for us as it does for him. The simple answer is a pro
is a pro and has to do it to make his living doing what he loves. It is NO
different in baseball, football, ( do you really think those ugly nose
bandages help a running back run?? ) or tennis, etc..

A well sponsored pro is a well paid ( you insert the WORD of your choice
here), and everyone knows it. It, unfortunately, is the sports program that
we all support by buying the same stuff that they sell. But, sell it is..
the product may or may not really work as well as the pro makes out.....and
I suspect everyone knows that.

RichG

Old December 9th, 2003, 11:48 PM
RichZ

Josh wrote:

I've seen just about every major tournament competitor (BASS, FLW etc)
endorse scents at one time or another.

I covered most of the Classics from 1980 to 2000 as an official observer.
Most of the pros I rode with over that time had some scent patch or other
on their person. In all that time, I only ever saw one of them (Ken Cook)
actually take the time to put it on his lure during either competition or
practice. Other than him, I can also give Jay Yelas a free ride on that, as
he never tied on a soft lure or used a trailer that wasn't a powerbait, so
he certainly used scent.

I also rode as an observer in most of the All Americans from '85 to '97.
With a few exceptions, the All American competitors course were for the
most part, high-level 'wannabes' or semi-pros. IE, really good weekend
fishermen. Maybe 1 out of 5 of these guys would do it.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old December 10th, 2003, 12:36 AM
Josh

Very interesting Rich. I'll continue to use I guess mostly because of
the psychological boost it gives me. Appreciate your insights as always.

And it's pretty obvious that other major league sports figures don't
always use what they endorse. My question was directed at our sport and
those who've attained some degree of success in it professionally.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old December 10th, 2003, 12:46 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Josh" wrote in message SNIP

I guess the core question is, does anyone else feel like it's
inappropriate for people to endorse "any product" recieve endorsement monies
just because it's a sponsor and the mouthpiece is a name competitor? Just
wondering how rest of you feel. ok...shoot.

My personal opinion is that it's not right to endorse a product and/or service/company if the
endorsee (?) doesn't use it. Now, this is just me speaking for myself, but as many of you know, I'm
working on getting sponsors for my hopefully soon to air television show. It takes a great deal of
money to get a show on the air and in order to do so, I need sponsors and their corresponding funds.
BUT, I'm not going to sign a contract unless it is a quality item that I would consider using
personally.

A case in point, I was contacted by a boat company and offered a sponsorship package of two boats
and some cash. Now, this sounds like a great deal and it was. The only problem with the whole deal
was it was an aluminum jet drive boat. Anyone that knows me knows that I am a fiberglass
performance boat enthusiast. If I were to suddenly appear on screen in this rig, anyone that knew
me would know that I signed the deal only for the money. I won't do that! So I politely declined,
and explained my stance. The potential sponsor seemed impressed, but disappointed at the same time.

I'm not going to even remotely attempt to impose my morals and beliefs on someone else. I feel that
it's MY reputation on the line if I endorse something and I won't risk my reputation for something
as trivial as cash or some trinkets. Reputation is like virginity, once it's gone, there's nothing
that can get it back.

But that's just my opinion,
--
Steve