Black Bear

Old September 14th, 2007, 01:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Lazarus Cooke

Default Black Bear

Anyone have an authentic, traditional dressing for this Atlantic Salmon
fly from the maritime states? It's also used in the northwest, and
often tied with a green or red butt, but I'm looking for the plain
unvarnished version.

A book reference would be great.

tia

Lazarus
Old September 14th, 2007, 04:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
JeffK[_2_]

Try this site (a great fly tying site) and search for "black bear". You
will find five excellent tiers' versions

'Flytier's Page' (http://tinyurl.com/38b7t4)

When I fished Newfoundland this summer the Black Bear green butt was
the most recommended wet fly by a long shot, with many guys adding a
little glitter ala the Glitter Bear with the similar Jackies Special
(aka Jack S**t) doing the trick too.

The local Newfoundland tiers do these real simple.

--
JeffK
Old September 14th, 2007, 07:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Green Highlander

Tag: small oval silver tinsel
Tail: black bear hair-preferrably spring cub
Butt: fluorescant green floss or silk
Body: peacock herl
Rib: small oval silver tinsel
Throat: black hen hackles tied as a collar and pulled down as a throat
Wing: black bear hair-preferrably spring bear cub

--
Green Highlander
Old September 14th, 2007, 10:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Lazarus Cooke

Many thanks guys - I really appreciate this.

Lazarus
Old September 17th, 2007, 02:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Mike[_6_]

On 14 Sep, 23:45, Lazarus Cooke
wrote:
Many thanks guys - I really appreciate this.

Lazarus

Have seen a few patterns for it, from my notes;

Black Bear
hook salmon w/f
hook size(s) 1/0-12
thread black
tag oval silver tinsel
tip fluorescent green wool
tail golden pheasant crest
body black floss or wool
rib oval silver tinsel
throat black hackle - collared
wing black bear hair

Black Bear - Green Butt
hook Orvis single or double salmon
hook size(s) 2-10
thread black monocord
tag flat silver tinsel
tail black squirrel
butt flourescent green floss
rib flat silver tinsel
body black floss
throat black squirrel
wing black squirrel

Pic here; http://www.americanflyfishing.com/Fl...lack+Bear.html

and he

http://www.riverbum.com/Black-Bear-Green-Butt/

There are a couple of patterns for it in Terry Helleksons“s "Fish
Flies" Vol 2. According to him it was developed in the early 1950“s
by Al Knudson while he was living in Everett, Washington. The original
pattern had black bear hair for the wing.

Pattern is ( under "steelhead flies")

Hooks AC80500BL, AC805001BL, TMC 7999, or Dai24441, sizes 1...8
Tail: Black and crimson red hackle barbs mixed
Ribbing: Oval silver tinsel
Body: Black Chenille
Hackle: Black and crimson red tied on as a collar mixed and tied back
and down.
Wing: Black calf tail tied over the body
head:Black

Salmon Pattern given in same book is;

Tip: Oval gold tinsel
Tail: Black hackle barbs
Ribbing: Oval gold tinsel
Body: Dubbed with #1 black lamb“s wool
Hackle: Black tied on as a collar, and tied back and down
Wing: Black moose hair, tied low over teh body
Head: Black.

Green Butt, Red butt, and Orange butt, are the same except for a
fluorescent yarn butt of the designated colour.

TL
MC

Old September 18th, 2007, 12:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Lazarus Cooke

In article . com, Mike
wrote:

On 14 Sep, 23:45, Lazarus Cooke
wrote:
[...]

Many thanks, mike. I get the impression (only from notes on the web)
that although it's been used a lot in the northwest, it was originally
an atlantic fly - very similar to a stoat's tail. I was going to say
that it was a really long time ago, not the fifties, and then I
realized that the fifties *were* a long time ago.

Ah dear.

thanks again

Lazarus
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:54 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
JeffK[_3_]

I think it is an Canadian Atlantic salmon with a lot in common with a
Stoat's Tail. The Canadians pioneered a lot of the hair wing flies,
especially with locally shot fur such as moose, black squirrel, and
bear. The Newfoundlanders use a whole lot of moose in their salmon
flies.

Just to add to the confusion, here is the Poul Jorgensen (from 1999
edition of Salmon Flies) version of the Black Bear. He is certainly an
authority, but this post sure shows how even a fairly simple fly can
vary.

Tail: Two narrow sections of black crow wing quill
Body: Black wool, Seal-Ex, or SLF
Throat: Small bunch of black bear hair extending to hook bend, dressed
sparse
Wing: Bunch of black bear hair reaching to end of tail
Head: Black tying thread

--
JeffK
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Mike[_6_]

On 18 Sep, 01:28, Lazarus Cooke
wrote:

Many thanks, mike. I get the impression (only from notes on the web)
that although it's been used a lot in the northwest, it was originally
an atlantic fly - very similar to a stoat's tail. I was going to say
that it was a really long time ago, not the fifties, and then I
realized that the fifties *were* a long time ago.

Ah dear.

thanks again

Lazarus

I have been working on some of these things for quite a while, and
researching histories etc, but I was obliged to put hair winged flies
on the back burner, as there are so many which are extremely similar,
and it is also difficult to find accurate histories. In the vast
majority of cases, they are merely hair wing version of other flies,
but there are some exceptions.

You may find this of interest, although there are not many salmon
flies there yet, they too are on the back burner! ;

http://www.mike-connor.homepage.t-on...cal_flies.html

TL
MC

Old September 18th, 2007, 10:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Lazarus Cooke

In article .com,
Mike wrote:

http://www.mike-connor.homepage.t-on...es/historical_
flies.html

Fascinating stuff, mike. I haven't time to go through it in detail but
it's like stumbling on a treasure chest.

lazarus
Old September 18th, 2007, 11:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Mike[_6_]

On 18 Sep, 23:09, Lazarus Cooke
wrote:

Fascinating stuff, mike. I haven't time to go through it in detail but
it's like stumbling on a treasure chest.

lazarus

Good, hope you enjoy it. It is still very much a work in progress, and
I am constantly adding material to all the sections.

TL
MC