line for spinning reels ?

Old December 21st, 2005, 06:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default line for spinning reels ?

I don't use spinning reels all that much and late in the season I tried
some fluorocarbon line on two reels in 4 and 6#.
They both seemed much more prone to birdnests than before.
Is the old mono a better choice?

thanks
bill
Old December 21st, 2005, 06:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 18:13:21 GMT, "bill allemann"
sent into the ether:

I don't use spinning reels all that much and late in the season I tried
some fluorocarbon line on two reels in 4 and 6#.
They both seemed much more prone to birdnests than before.
Is the old mono a better choice?

thanks
bill

Birds nests on a spinning reel sounds like a line twist or incorrect
winding of the line initially. Did the line seem to jump off the
spool by itself even before you first cast with it? If so, it either
has too much line on the spool or was installed so the set is opposite
of the spool winding. Take it all off and running it through a wet
towel will help.

Also check the bail roller for free movement. If it is not moving
freely it will cause line twist. If it is not moving freely, take it
apart and clean it. Put one small drop of oil on it before
reassembly.

Hope that helps

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
www.SecretWeaponLures.com
A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!
Old December 21st, 2005, 07:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Regarding the reel I used more, I wasn't using a bait that ever seemed to
rotate at all (wacky worm),
and I tried letting all the line out with nothing tied on while the boat was
on the move, and the
problem repeated again fairly quickly. Not the first cast, but probably
within 20 or so.
Regarding the bail roller, I'll look into that.
Thanks
Bill

Old December 21st, 2005, 07:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:01:10 GMT, "bill allemann"
sent into the ether:

Regarding the reel I used more, I wasn't using a bait that ever seemed to
rotate at all (wacky worm),
and I tried letting all the line out with nothing tied on while the boat was
on the move, and the
problem repeated again fairly quickly. Not the first cast, but probably
within 20 or so.
Regarding the bail roller, I'll look into that.
Thanks
Bill

The twisting from a bail roller can be very frustrating. It sounds
like that is what you have. On reels that do not have the best roller
set up I usually raise the bait up out of the water with 6' or so of
line out and watch for a spinning bait. It lets out some of the twist
that way.

Old December 23rd, 2005, 04:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Bill:
Use fluorocarbon for leader material. I find a quality limp mono is the
best all around line for use on spinning tackle. Spinning gear does
tend to birds nest from time to time but it's usually caused by
improper line spooling such as refilling off the packaging spool
imporperly. Often guys put to much line on. Don't let that pimply faced
kid use one of those line machines they have at bait shops. You'll end
up tearing it all off.
You get what you pay for with lines so don't cheap out and buy the
limpest line you can find and remember what I said use the fluorocarbon
for leader material in snaggy stuff.
Jackfish

Old December 23rd, 2005, 05:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

how much leader length?
would the knot cause trouble going through the guides when casting?

thanks
bill

ups.com...

Old December 24th, 2005, 07:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

I don't know a lot about your winters, however I live in SE North Carolina
and all I can say is Heck Yes For Winter! That is when the fishes school up
tight out in open water. They are no longer scattered all over the place.
You find them and then you simply pick them off one at a time. Vertical
Jigging most often does the trick. Average temps hover around high 30's up
to mid 40's most of the winter. On real nasty days: wind-rain-Real cold:20's
I spend my weekends building structure{underwater hurdles}. I LOVE WINTER
FISHING in the SOUTH!!

. com...

Old December 24th, 2005, 07:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

I have found a way to remove line twist very effectively. Simply cut off the
lure and let out line behind your moving boat. Let the line drag in the
water while moving about 10 mph. Do this for a few minutes and the friction
against the line from the moving water will untwist your line. Reel in the
line while still moving and you are good to go.
Roostermayo

om...

Old December 24th, 2005, 01:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"bill allemann" wrote in message
om...
I don't use spinning reels all that much and late in the season I tried
some fluorocarbon line on two reels in 4 and 6#.
They both seemed much more prone to birdnests than before.
Is the old mono a better choice?

Some of the flourocarbon lines are fairly "hard" and don't lie well on a
spinning reel spool. This will cause the line to spring off the spool
creating snarls and tangles. Most mono lines are fairly limp in comparison,
however they will have more stretch than the flourocarbon.

I prefer to use 8 and 10 pound PowerPro braided line on my spinning reels.
It is nice and limp, has almost ZERO stretch and good castability. If I
remember correctly, the 8 pound has the equivilent diameter of 2 pound test
mono and the 10 pound is comparable to 4 pound mono line.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old December 24th, 2005, 04:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"bill allemann" wrote in message
om...
I don't use spinning reels all that much and late in the season I tried
some fluorocarbon line on two reels in 4 and 6#.
They both seemed much more prone to birdnests than before.
Is the old mono a better choice?

thanks
bill

I have actually had very good luck spooling my spinning reels with flouro
carbon. Sounds like the line was not spooled on correctly or perhaps as
somebody else mentioned the line roller is sticking. The lightest I have
used is 8LB and typically I spool on 10 or 12. At first I was going to
suggest that perhaps the expensive Seaguar Carbon Pro I use lays better than
other flouro carbon lines, but the 8lb I have been using is from a sample
spool of Maxima that was given to me by their regional sales rep.

Actually I have to admit the Maxima flouro carbon is very very good line. I
may see if I can find a bulk spool of it in 10 or 12 to use for wacky
rigging in clear water.
--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com