|If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.|
||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Larry Schmitt's Sequin Popper
Hook: TMC100 #8 (wide gap dry fly)
Wing Case: 2 mm 1/4” w x 1” long Hobby Lobby Foam. (Pointed on tie in end)
Body Chenille Medium Chartreuse or Black
Bead: Plastic, copper or gold as small as possible to slide over hook
Approximately .10 od (Available at Hobby Lobby)
Sequin: Gold or Silver approximately. .30 od (Available at Hobby Lobby)
Legs: Rubber, Silly legs, Kush Ball material
Tail: Black Bear or Synthetic Duster material
Eyes; Optional mono eyes large size
Thread: # 8 uni
Glue: Fishing Glue (Note thin bristles in brush by 50%)
Tying the Popper
1. Start by smashing the barb if you desire. (I do all mine).
2. Slip on bead and Sequin bent 90* on the hook facing forward
3. Secure hook in vise and wrap thread from the eye back about ¼ “. and
back forward again as much as necessary to obtain a snug fit of bead and
the sequin. Whip finish or half hitch and cut thread
4. Slide bead forward along with sequin to eye of hook.
5Tie the thread in behind the sequin forming a cone to secure the sequin
against the bead, then continue to wrap to the rear of hook above the barb.
6. Check for proper alignment of the sequin and apply a drop of fishing
glue to the back of the sequin on the thread.
7. Tie in tail material (hook gap long) and tie down the entire length
8. Wrap back to the hook barb and tie in pointed end of the 2 mm foam
and the chenille
Note: I recommend tying the foam on the side and let it roll over as you
wrap it down
9. Check alignment. Apply a drop of glue to secure position of foam
Then continue the thread forward to center of hook and tie in legs and
continuing wrap to the rear of sequin.
10. Wrap the chenille forward while positioning legs tying chenille in
behind the sequin.
Tie in optional eyes on top of chenille
Fold foam to the front tying off and whip finish behind the sequin and
in front of the eyes. Apply glue to back of sequin to secure foam in
position and apply a drop to the threads of the whip finish
Cut foam off approximately 1/16 longer than sequin Enjoy and catch some fish
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|sequine popper||Larry and a Cat named Dub||Fly Fishing Tying||6||January 21st, 2007 09:31 AM|
|Larry hits the big time?||salmobytes||Fly Fishing||4||January 7th, 2007 02:09 PM|
|Larry hits the big time?||salmobytes||Fly Fishing Tying||4||January 7th, 2007 02:09 PM|
|Rainey's Popper Paint||John||Fly Fishing Tying||0||February 19th, 2005 08:51 AM|
|bass popper||Gone Angling||Bass Fishing||2||November 13th, 2003 06:44 AM|