Wisconsin spring steel

Old April 11th, 2007, 01:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Chris Rennert

Default Wisconsin spring steel

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steel13.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	242
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Rodney Long

Chris Rennert wrote:

What did you catch them on ?

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,
Old April 11th, 2007, 02:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Chris Rennert" wrote in message

Sure, you bum! You said you were going to let me know when you went after
some spring steelhead....
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old April 13th, 2007, 04:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Chris Rennert

Rodney, I caught them all on jigs and spawn, scent up of course :-)
Old April 13th, 2007, 04:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Chris Rennert

Steve,

I am really sorry, the season has been so touch and go. When we had
really good flows at which is usually considered peak times, we were
lucky to pull 5 or 6 fish. THen at times when the water would drop and
start getting to 40+ degrees, we would have 10 or 15 fish days, and then
other days be lucky to pull 1 or 2. There have not been many (if any)
typical spring steelhead days. Inviting anyone would have been a
gamble, and for you to travel that far, I would rather have a guarantee.

Chris
Old April 13th, 2007, 04:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Rodney Long

Chris Rennert wrote:
Rodney, I caught them all on jigs and spawn, scent up of course :-)

I'm wondering how they would respond to a Berkley Gulp minnow, on the
Wiggle rig ?

With mouth that big surely they feed on minnows ?

Old April 13th, 2007, 01:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
johnval1

"Rodney Long" wrote in message
I'm wondering how they would respond to a Berkley Gulp minnow, on the
Wiggle rig ?

Rodney, I am a big fan of the wiggle rig. I have handed out about 10 of
these little kits to friends and family members. However, up here in
Michigan, you would be illegal using the wiggle rig on a river for
steelhead. The wiggle rig would be considered to be a drop shot rig, which
is illegal in this state on streams, rivers and drowned river mouths.

Old April 13th, 2007, 02:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Ken Fortenberry

Rodney Long wrote:
With mouth that big surely they feed on minnows ?

Steelhead don't actually feed at all once they leave the
lake and enter the streams to spawn.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old April 13th, 2007, 03:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Rodney Long

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Rodney Long wrote:
... With mouth that big surely they feed on minnows ?

Steelhead don't actually feed at all once they leave the
lake and enter the streams to spawn.

How do you catch them if they are not feeding ?

Old April 13th, 2007, 03:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Ken Fortenberry

Rodney Long wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Rodney Long wrote:
... With mouth that big surely they feed on minnows ?

Steelhead don't actually feed at all once they leave the
lake and enter the streams to spawn.

How do you catch them if they are not feeding ?

With eggs usually. They don't eat the eggs but they'll move
them around trying to get rid of them so that only the eggs
they've lain or fertilized are left on the bed. Likewise if
a big stonefly tumbles into the bed they'll get rid of it
so it doesn't bother the eggs. It's strictly housekeeping
not feeding. They couldn't eat if they wanted to, their
stomachs shrink to nothing during the spawn.

--
Ken Fortenberry