Yellows in the bass dam

Old May 28th, 2007, 11:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Ignoblis

Default Yellows in the bass dam

These are the indigenous fish from the area, Clanwilliam Yellowfish.
Steamtrains to say the least. We get some decent bass in the dam too.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yello.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	299
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Putain

"Ignoblis" wrote in message
These are the indigenous fish from the area, Clanwilliam Yellowfish.
Steamtrains to say the least. We get some decent bass in the dam too.

Looks like a grass carp

Old May 30th, 2007, 07:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Ignoblis

There are a few species of yellowfish spread throughout South Africa. This
one is in the Western Cape and is the most threatend. Its only occurs in two
river systems and struggles to compete with the bass that have been
introduced over the years.

Old May 30th, 2007, 03:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Dick[_2_]

Great Pic. The background reminds me of a lake I use to fish at Palo
Verde,California. The lake was fed by the Colorado river. (Dick)

Old May 30th, 2007, 04:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
mr&ms

Yup...a grass carp

Old June 12th, 2007, 08:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"mr&ms" wrote in message
Yup...a grass carp

Nope, not a grass carp at all, but a totally different fish. A Clanwilliam
Yellowfish is "Barbus capensis" and a grass carp, also known as a White
Amur, is "Ctenopharyngodon idella."
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old June 12th, 2007, 10:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
The Great Gazooka[_2_]

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:00:35 -0600, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers"
wrote:

"mr&ms" wrote in message
Yup...a grass carp

Nope, not a grass carp at all, but a totally different fish. A Clanwilliam
Yellowfish is "Barbus capensis" and a grass carp, also known as a White
Amur, is "Ctenopharyngodon idella."

Until you fry them up and eat them.Then they're known as
ichthyoscatum. By golly.
Old June 13th, 2007, 03:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
JohnK

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in message

"mr&ms" wrote in message
Yup...a grass carp

Nope, not a grass carp at all, but a totally different fish. A
Clanwilliam Yellowfish is "Barbus capensis" and a grass carp, also known
as a White Amur, is "Ctenopharyngodon idella."
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

True, a different fish. But still a member of the carp family of fish, and
the physical resemblance
is remarkable, except of colurse for the distinct golden color. I find it
interesting that all over
the world, common carp is respected and in some places even prized , while
in North America we
consider it trash. Then, there are a number of other fish in the carp
family, which in their
own countries of origin are not considered or called "carp", we attach the
"carp" suffix to it and automatically
reduce it to a trash fish. That is besides the issue of being invasive
foreign species that we foolishly
brought here. Most of us fishermen now think these new Invasive Asian
"carps" are the same barbelled
mud diggers we brought here from Germany in the 1800s, which they are not.
I'm all for eliminating
the name "grass carp" and just calling it White Amur. BTW in Asia they are
just called "grass fish".

Old June 14th, 2007, 01:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Ignoblis

Absolutely right. Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Here in South Africa there has been a huge move in targeting the various
Yellowfish species, especially on fly . Shortline nymphing has been a
particularly successful method of catching them. Traditionally we have fly
fished for trout which are of course alien here. Yellowfish are a
formidable quarry and considered a serious tackle buster. Believe me they
are.

Its funny you should mention how carp is considered as trash in US. Over
here it is the same. Even Bass are considered trash by some of the "fly
fishing purists" over here.
I too was schooled in those ways until I discovered lures and bait which
opened up a whole new world for me.

Now I do it all and life is great.