2004 Western Conclave

Old October 17th, 2003, 02:29 PM
Warren

Default 2004 Western Conclave

First of all, let me apologize for screwing the pooch somehow. For some reason
my original post went to ROFFT instead of ROFF so forgive me for the "re-post".
Thanks Tripper for pointing it out. I would have missed it had you not pointed
it out.

RE-POST:
Okay guys, mark your calendars because July 10-17 (a Saturday through Saturday
affair with the Friday before and the Sunday after being optional) will mark
ROFF's return to the Madison for the 4th Western Conclave. The area I am
throwing this in is the Upper Madison since the crowds aren't as bad, the
scenery is better and it will keep everyone together in a small stretch.

There
are two FS campground right across the road from a cabin rental place about
four miles upstream from the Slide Inn, which would be a good place to rent a
nice cabin or hook an RV up at.

I'll add more info later after doing some more research on accommodations. I
can't remember the name of the place across from the campgrounds, but the

Slide
Inn is a nicer spot IMO. The guy who owns it is a kick ass fisherman and

gives
damn good advice out of his fly shop there at the Slide Inn. The cabins look
nicer and they have a large cabin that would be great for 3-5 guys to rent
together. I'll try to get up there in the next week or so to take some pics

of
the rooms at both places, the campground, the area, etc.

Areas to be fished range from what will be open in the Park (about a 20 minute
drive) to the Upper Madison, Gallatin, Henry's Fork, Hegben Lake, etc. It's
pretty damn close to that nice brookie spot I took some of the people to

during
the HF clave where we caught some big brookies. I know we will have at least
one boat for float trips. As I said, I'll post more in the next week or so.

For some reason I have been more concerned lately with the bugling elk in my
yard than with fishing. The blood is set to flow and I'm ready to go! The
damn elk are getting so horny that I was able to bugle an elk with a goose call
last night while BBQing on my back porch. My current problem is whether to
stay home and scout out the elk some more or to go up north and chase more
grouse and pheasant this weekend. Ain't life a bitch?!?!?! The sad part is
that I am starting to hear rumors of good fishing and so I am kind of torn
between the three (birds/fish/elk). What bothers me more is that I have had
two job interviews this week and I am pretty sure that I will get both jobs,
which means that I may actually be employed during hunting season. I did make
it perfectly clear that I want the whole summer off so that RW and I can win
the "Troutbum Contest" though. The scary part is that it didn't seem to be a
problem......g
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
Old October 17th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Tim J.

"Warren" wrote...
I did make
it perfectly clear that I want the whole summer off so that RW and I can win
the "Troutbum Contest" though.

I've made that clear to my employers several times. After the laughter dies
down, I find myself with the same number of days off as the previous year.

Good luck with the jobs, Warren.
--
TL,
Tim

Old October 17th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Jeff Taylor

"Warren" wrote in message

ROFF's return to the Madison for the 4th Western Conclave.

What is the closest city/town to this clave?

Good luck with your hunting decision, I'd break out the goose call...

Jeff T.

Old October 17th, 2003, 05:28 PM
Mark Anderson

Greetings Warren & Group:

"Warren" wrote in message
snip
RE-POST:
Okay guys, mark your calendars because July 10-17 (a Saturday through

Saturday
affair with the Friday before and the Sunday after being optional) will

mark
ROFF's return to the Madison for the 4th Western Conclave.

snip

Ya know what? I can probably attend this one, 'cause I'll be
r-e-t-i-r-e-d!
Thanks for scouting all this stuff out, Warren. Are those FS campgrounds
generally full that time of year? I have a little pop-up trailer I wouldn't
mind hauling up there from here (northern CA). Maybe if I came a day or two
early, (before the weekend), getting a spot would be easier?
I'm looking forward to (finally) meeting & fishing with you folks...
Cheers, and tight lines.
-Mark

Old October 17th, 2003, 06:33 PM
Kevin Vang

Warren wrote:

RE-POST:

Okay guys, mark your calendars because July 10-17 (a Saturday through Saturday
affair with the Friday before and the Sunday after being optional) will mark
ROFF's return to the Madison for the 4th Western Conclave.

Warren, you evil rat-bastid sumnabeech, this will be the second year
in a row that the Western Clave happens two and a half weeks too early
for me to come. Not that everybody should change their plans for me
or anything, but if it were later, I would brew up a few kegs of
comeraderie for the occasion...

There
are two FS campground right across the road from a cabin rental place about
four miles upstream from the Slide Inn, which would be a good place to rent a
nice cabin or hook an RV up at.

I'll add more info later after doing some more research on accommodations. I
can't remember the name of the place across from the campgrounds, but the

If you are talking about the Beaver Creek campground, which I think
you are, that will be a great place for Clave Central. It's one of
our favorite places to camp. Lots of tall pine trees, so it's
usually cool and shady, and it overlooks Quake Lake. I never catch
much in QL, but it's fun to paddle around in the float tube and
watch the ospreys fishing. It fills up pretty good on the weekends,
but is mostly empty during the week. Folks might want to make sure
they arrive early on Friday if they want a good spot. The place
down the road is called Campfire Lodge. Also, if people are too
cheap to pay for the FS campground, they can drive up the Beaver
Creek road (a nice cutt stream, btw), people just set up camp
willy-nilly all over the place.

Kevin

Old October 18th, 2003, 12:17 AM
Tim Lysyk

Hey Warren:

What city in Montana is this close to? (Too lazy to look it up myself, I
guess).

Tim Lysyk
timlysyk at telus dot net

Old October 18th, 2003, 12:25 AM
Ken Fortenberry

Tim Lysyk wrote:

What city in Montana is this close to? (Too lazy to look it up myself, I
guess).

There are no cities in Montana. The closest "town" is West Yellowstone
but it would be better described as an open sewer with a McDonalds.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old October 18th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Charlie Choc

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 23:17:17 GMT, "Tim Lysyk"
wrote:

Hey Warren:

What city in Montana is this close to? (Too lazy to look it up myself, I
guess).

The Slide Inn web page has information on airports if that's what
you're looking for: http://www.slideinn.com/travel.htm.
--
Charlie...
Old October 18th, 2003, 12:44 AM
Tim Lysyk

Thanks Charlie. It looks about a 6 - 8 hour drive from where I am.

Tim Lysyk
timlysyk at telus dot net

Old October 18th, 2003, 12:47 AM
Tim Lysyk

Depends on what you call a city I suppose. At one time, the city of Great
Falls was quite a popular shopping destination for people from our town. Of
course, that was back when our dollar was worth about 85 cents. Looks like
it would be a pretty easy drive to the clave for me. Have to seriously think
about attending, and taking part in some western camaraderie.

Tim Lysyk
timlysyk at telus dot net

.com...