Smoky Mountain Hospitality Update

Old October 17th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Memphis Jim

Default Smoky Mountain Hospitality Update

Okay, my entreaty and invitation for a fishing partner between October 29
and November 1 in the Tennessee/North Carolina mountain area was less than
enthusiastically received. But I'd still appreciate the advice of anyone
with an opinion as to good places for a flyfisher in the area for the first
time to catch brook trout (and to a lesser extent brown and rainbow trout).
Hiking to fish would be great (in Arkansas you generally get out of the car,
wade downstream a couple of hundred yards, and fish).

Here's my promise. If you suggest it; I'll fish it; and I'll come back here
and write about it (with location anonymity if requested).

If I don't get any suggestions, I'll of course contact the local fly shops
to get their recommendations.

Barring that, it's the South Holston in Tennessee and/or the North Fork
Mills River in North Carolina.

Memphis Jim

(Now my wife is thinking Wisconsin or Minnesota as relocation possibilities;
I knew those good midwestern public education systems would give me
trouble.)

Old October 17th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Tim J.

"Memphis Jim" wrote...

(Now my wife is thinking Wisconsin or Minnesota as relocation possibilities;
I knew those good midwestern public education systems would give me
trouble.)

In the past few months, you've posted possible relocation plans. I couldn't help
noticing that you've left out a few states. Utah, Nevada, and Illinois (well, I
can certainly understand *that* one) have not been listed. Should I send along
the help wanted ads for those states?
--
TL,
Tim

Old October 17th, 2003, 09:14 PM
Memphis Jim

"Tim J." wrote in message

"Memphis Jim" wrote...

(Now my wife is thinking Wisconsin or Minnesota as relocation

possibilities;
I knew those good midwestern public education systems would give me
trouble.)

In the past few months, you've posted possible relocation plans. I

couldn't help
noticing that you've left out a few states. Utah, Nevada, and Illinois

(well, I
can certainly understand *that* one) have not been listed. Should I send

along
the help wanted ads for those states?
--

If you have any diagnostic radiologist job listings around, send them on!

The list changes with the whims of my wife and myself. And many factors are
going into the list. I lived in St. Louis for three years, and tooled
around Illinois a bit, so I know just how flat most of Illinois is; and
trout water is somewhat scarce. Utah and Nevada are on the list. Right now
it's easier to name states that are off the list than those that are on it.

Right now the relocation stuff is just talk; but a year from now things will
really heat up with recruiters, interviews, and visits. The move will be in
June 2006, 2 1/2 years.

Memphis Jim

Old October 17th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Tim J.

"Memphis Jim" wrote...
snip
Right now
it's easier to name states that are off the list than those that are on it.

That was my point / joke. Obviously not very funny.
--
TL,
Tim

Old October 17th, 2003, 09:31 PM
ezflyfisher

Memphis Jim wrote:

[...]

Hey Jim,

I'd like to "go west" and hook up with you for some brookie chasin' but
I can't at that time.

Brookies..... think GSMNP streams.... above 3500' in elevation. You can
access the TN streams from the Gatlinburg area and the NC streams from
Bryson City.

-wally

North Carolina Flyfishin' & more!
http://www.ezflyfish.com
http://www.wilsoncreekoutfitters.com

Old October 17th, 2003, 09:33 PM
Memphis Jim

"Tim J." wrote in message

"Memphis Jim" wrote...
snip
Right now
it's easier to name states that are off the list than those that are on

it.

That was my point / joke. Obviously not very funny.
--

A deadpan serious response will kill any joke. Years of being an attorney
can drive the humor out of anyone.

Memphis Jim

Old October 17th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Memphis Jim

Hey Jim,

I'd like to "go west" and hook up with you for some brookie chasin' but
I can't at that time.

Brookies..... think GSMNP streams.... above 3500' in elevation. You can
access the TN streams from the Gatlinburg area and the NC streams from
Bryson City.

-wally

North Carolina Flyfishin' & more!
http://www.ezflyfish.com
http://www.wilsoncreekoutfitters.com

Wally:

I appreciate the information. I'll let you know how I do. I'd come by to
say hello, but the closest I'll get to you on my trip will be Boone.

Memphis Jim

Old October 17th, 2003, 10:49 PM
JohnR

Jim,

I live in Waynesville - Gateway to the Smokies. I can't make it to fish with
you but I'd think Cataloochee Creek in the Cataloochee section of the Park
(eastern side in Haywood Cty, NC) I know we did brook trout restoration
projects in that area so you'd be fishing for Southern Appalachian strain
brook trout.

Other areas are many of the small streams in the Cruso section of Haywood
County. Many of them have true native brook trout. A friend who used to
teach at WCU did a research study on them and they are still mostly S. App.
strain.

As to being a diagnostic radiologist, have you thought of Asheville? Large
and well-established medical community with two hospitals, a rehab hospital,
and a VA center. Also, if your wife is a teacher, about 40% of the teachers
in Haywood County are at or beyond their 30 years needed for retirement.

-John

Old October 17th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Peter Charles

****, you could have your pick in Ontario . . .

The list changes with the whims of my wife and myself. And many factors are
going into the list. I lived in St. Louis for three years, and tooled
around Illinois a bit, so I know just how flat most of Illinois is; and
trout water is somewhat scarce. Utah and Nevada are on the list. Right now
it's easier to name states that are off the list than those that are on it.

Right now the relocation stuff is just talk; but a year from now things will
really heat up with recruiters, interviews, and visits. The move will be in
June 2006, 2 1/2 years.

Memphis Jim

Good luck

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html
Old October 17th, 2003, 11:15 PM
Memphis Jim

wrote:

If you have any diagnostic radiologist job listings around, send them on!

****, you could have your pick in Ontario . . .

Peter, Peter, Peter:

You should know that American doctors and Canada don't mix.

Memphis Jim