Eureka! was Floating Materials

Old February 1st, 2004, 09:55 PM
Peter Charles

Default Eureka! was Floating Materials

A short while ago, I was ready to go postal, now I'm grinning like the
Cheshire Cat.

Talk about bi-polar fly tying . . .

I've been getting increasingly ****ed off with my inability to produce
a worthwhile, meniscus floating, golden, translucent, butt hanging
down, humbacked, legs tucked, ginger coloured, tan bodied, Hydropsyche
caddis emerger.

After mucking about with snowshoe hare, various synthetics, etc. I
found that none floated well. I tied up a bunch and they all sank.
They all had an opaque appearance that wouldn't do a decent job of
mimicking a drifting, translucent pupa. In a moment of desparation, I
tried some natural red squirrel tail in the sink and low 'n' behold --
the damn **** floated. The colour is about right so on the hook it
goes.

I stack the hair, tie it on a #18 200 R with 14/0 primrose, leaving
about 5/8" to 3/4" sticking beyond the hook as a "tail". The body
section of the squirrel hair is well covered with thread to form the
tan body. When the light yellow thread gets wet, it darkens down to a
tan. This tail then gets folded forward and tied off. This humps the
squirrel tail over the thread body in a reaslitic profile and colour
arrangement (dark over light). The tips of the hairs are at this
point, sticking forward -- these are then swept under and tied off to
simulate the tucked under legs. Then tie a loop of ginger CDC on top
and . . .

TADA!!

My best ever meniscus floating, golden, translucent, butt hanging
down, humbacked, legs tucked, ginger coloured, tan bodied, Hydropsyche
caddis emerger.

http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...disemerger.jpg

Ya, I know the eye is a little crowded but the fish won't give a damn.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html
Old February 1st, 2004, 10:54 PM
Willi

Peter Charles wrote:

A short while ago, I was ready to go postal, now I'm grinning like the
Cheshire Cat.

TADA!!

My best ever meniscus floating, golden, translucent, butt hanging
down, humbacked, legs tucked, ginger coloured, tan bodied, Hydropsyche
caddis emerger.

http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...disemerger.jpg

Looks like it will catch some fish.

But I'm puzzled why the squirrel floats better for you than snowshoe
foot hair.

Tom's got a snowshoe caddis emerger pattern that floats great. You can
even pull it under and it will pop to the surface.

Willi

Old February 1st, 2004, 11:20 PM
Peter Charles

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 15:54:44 -0700, Willi wrote:

Peter Charles wrote:

A short while ago, I was ready to go postal, now I'm grinning like the
Cheshire Cat.

TADA!!

My best ever meniscus floating, golden, translucent, butt hanging
down, humbacked, legs tucked, ginger coloured, tan bodied, Hydropsyche
caddis emerger.

http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...disemerger.jpg

Looks like it will catch some fish.

But I'm puzzled why the squirrel floats better for you than snowshoe
foot hair.

Tom's got a snowshoe caddis emerger pattern that floats great. You can
even pull it under and it will pop to the surface.

Willi

Mine didn't but then I may not have been sold snowshoe hare feet (they
were *supposed* to be snowshoe hare). I tied a fly and it sank plus
the individual hairs sank whe dunked in the sink. Also, I'm not
using it conventionally as wing, rather I'm folding it.

Old February 1st, 2004, 11:32 PM
Stephen Welsh

Peter Charles wrote in
:

http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...disemerger.jpg

Ya, I know the eye is a little crowded but the fish won't give a damn.

That should do nicely ...
interesting loop of CDC ... I've not seen it done that way (horigazontally)
before.

Steve

Old February 1st, 2004, 11:33 PM
Stephen Welsh

Peter Charles wrote in
:

I tied a fly and it sank plus
the individual hairs sank whe dunked in the sink.

Contaminated??

Steve
Old February 1st, 2004, 11:54 PM
Dave LaCourse

Peter Charles writes:

http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...disemerger.jpg

Hey, you're right handed. Ain't that a left handed Renzetti Traveler?

Nice emerger too!

Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Old February 1st, 2004, 11:56 PM
Dave LaCourse

Stephen Welsh:

Contaminated??

Uh, not Suzie's sink.

Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:03 AM
Stephen Welsh

irate (Dave LaCourse) wrote in
:

Uh, not Suzie's sink.

Not the sink, Dave, the foot.

:-)

Steve
Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:06 AM
Peter Charles

On 1 Feb 2004 23:32:22 GMT, Stephen Welsh
wrote:

That should do nicely ...
interesting loop of CDC ... I've not seen it done that way (horigazontally)
before.

Steve

It should sit in the surface film a bit better with the horizontal
loop. I've been working on a fly that'll have this appearance . . .

http://www.sfotf.com/CADDIS.JPG

This one's dead, laying on the aquarium floor but picture it hanging
just under the surface with that golden skin puffed with air.

Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:11 AM
Dave LaCourse

Stephen Welsh writes:

Not the sink, Dave, the foot.

Not that either. Not in Suzie's house. d;o)